Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Which Trader Vic's are the most classic ones to go see

Pages: 1 21 replies

This thread is intended as a Bucket List for Classic Trader Vic's locations that are still open. Which are the best and why. This thread I have a feeling should focus more on the great classic decor, than say food or drink.
Ok folks, just a quick start. I don't feel like putting these is any order, but I say Atlanta, Munich and Emeryville (if the recent remodel hasn't muddled it) as three Classic current Vics that I have been to. Any other ones?

I haven't been to a Trader Vic's yet. How is the one in Atlanta? I could stop there on my way down to Fla next Spring.

M

Atlanta could possibly be the best classic Vic's in the United States. It is a MUST SEE!

These are the current US locations:

Atlanta
Beverly Hills
Emeryville
Los Angeles
Palo Alto
Portland
Sarasota

Emeryville is located on the water and has two giant Tikis outside, and its interior has the classic Tiki Vibe, so it may be my favorite:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5198&forum=2&hilite=trader%20vics%20emeryville

C

Will visit Emeryville one day for sure! Only been to Beverly Hills, Scottsdale (RIP) and downtown LA. I liked Scottsdale best, though the drinks at both California ones were fantastic, even the humble Pina Colada in BH.

Shame there is no longer one in Berlin, where we're going for Rumfest in October. Still, Beachbum's bringing the tiki, we'll survive!

Shame there are so few left in the States, while they seem so popular in the Middle East - Jordan, Saudi, UEA and Oman have 10 between 'em! My colleague's husband is working in a dry area of Saudi and occasionally travels to Bahrain for a few beers, and has visited TVs there. As he is unfamiliar with tiki drinks I've passed on a suggestion he try a Mai Tai.

Wish Trader Vic's would hit Australia, preferably Brisbane or the Gold Coast as that's whereabouts we're headed to live. Gold Coast has Hooter's dagnabbit!

T

My favorites (roughly in order) are:

Munich
Tokyo
Atlanta

and possibly:

Emeryville (I haven't seen the remodel yet)
London (my last visit was 10 years ago)

M

I cannot add much more than what JT has said:

• tikibars wrote:

My favorites (roughly in order) are:

Munich
Tokyo
Atlanta

and possibly:

Emeryville (I haven't seen the remodel yet)
London (my last visit was 10 years ago)

Munich is THE place any fan of Trader Vic's should visit. It is simply the best in the world out of the dozen or so I have visited. Classic in every sense of the word, a veritable time capsule and seemingly still quite popular. One trip, one Vic's to see? Munich, hands down.

Tokyo is my favorite though, for personal reasons. It is smaller than Munich and does not share the subterranean feature, but is nonetheless a great location. Great food, good drinks, fabulous service in a beautiful space.

Atlanta is the great Vic's that remains stateside. Similar in feel and layout to London it possesses the requisite Trader Vic's features I seek: the old decor/look, the basement location. It's a gem. If Joel is still there it's a gem with a great bar manager.

Then again, I like all Trader Vic's, they're all great! No, wait, there was Vegas. Yeah...Vegas.

Fan boy,
midnite

V

god. I've never been to the Munich, and it's probably the closest to me (and I've been to the awesome ones in Tokyo, or Emeryville, or London, Atlanta...).

Q

I just visited the Atlanta TV's and I must say it was fantastic! I am a tiki-newbie and had never been to a true polynesian/tiki themed restaurant or bar. I guess I picked a good one to start with. :wink:

I highly recommend the Atlanta location!!

By the way, I had low expectations for the food offerings as I was mainly interested in the decor and drinks, but the food was REALLY good. I would go back in a heartbeat.

CHEERS!

Was just at Trader Vics Tokyo and have to say how awesome it is and how old school as well. Larry (GM) maintains very authentic menus for both cocktails and food!

The new Portland location was built to be an classic. The folks behind it are huge proponents of the brand and some have been visiting Trader Vic's for 50 years or more. The decor and attention to detail makes it a must-see.

from the pics I have seen of the Portland Vics,
it looks amazing, and I am glad to hear that they are doing it right.

I really want to get up there to see it sometime.

Jeff(btd)

Emeryville, hands down. Plus it's a stones throw from the ORIGINAL Trader Vics (formerly Hinky Dink's) in Oakland.

Matt the Cat here, we will be in Dubai this July for a day on our way to Kenya and plan to go to TV Dubai. Can't wait!

On 2012-02-06 13:06, TikiMookie wrote:
Matt the Cat here, we will be in Dubai this July for a day on our way to Kenya and plan to go to TV Dubai. Can't wait!

There are two Trader Vic's and a TV Mai Tai Lounge in Dubai.
The one in the Crown Plaza was small, very old-school (similar to Atlanta)and more "locals".
The one in the Jumeirah's Souk Madinat was more upscale, international and party central. It's in a resort mall and a short walk to the beach to see the Burj al Arab.
The Mai Tai Lounge was modern for sure and the most worried about me taking pics.
They each had Cuban bands, different! Cuban bands and the favorite drink was the Tiki Puka Puka, often served without the gardenia :(
All of the staffs were really friendly and I left with parting gifts!!

J

Pittsburgh pauly, there's this really cool technology you should look into...

It's called a digital camera. Also I understand there are some phones that are also cameras !!

Matt the cat here again, Thanks for the insight PPauly, maybe we'll see you there!

Very excited to be going to Atlanta next week and will be staying within walking distance of the Atlanta TV's!

Sorry, had to share with someone who would appreciate it.

On 2012-02-20 22:46, JOHN-O wrote:
Pittsburgh pauly, there's this really cool technology you should look into...

It's called a digital camera. Also I understand there are some phones that are also cameras !!

A what now? Ca-me-ra? New fangled contraptions!
I'll fish some out and post them to the three threads I started in Locating Tiki. I don't take many photos, seems like they get in the way of experience. (and the establishments seemed a little worried about having photographic evidence of Emiratees falling off the wagon. The bars, in theory, are for tourists only, as alcohol is forbidden in Islam.)

On 2012-02-21 19:04, TikiMookie wrote:
Matt the cat here again, Thanks for the insight PPauly, maybe we'll see you there!

Naw, It was a once in a lifetime deal back in '09. The S.O. had a "Fam" trip, to familiarize himself with the location, I was +1 for a 4 night tour.
I don't see it in the cards to ever be back.

On 2012-02-06 13:06, TikiMookie wrote:

Looks like you'll be able to hit FOUR Trader Vic's while in Dubai. I just saw that one is opening in June in a development called Festival City.
I started a thread in locating tiki. It looks fairly old school!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42583&forum=2

Pages: 1 21 replies