Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

is this mahogany?

Pages: 1 4 replies

P

???????

Its possible. Where did you get it? Mahogany has a grey bark that has a black petina. The bark will peel away fairly easy (I usually use a screwdriver to remove the bark).

P

I got it at a buddy's office / impound lot. The landlord cut some trees out back (kinda wooded).

There's a whole tree of this stuff cut up into pieces. I just wanted to see what it was before I loaded it up and drug it home.

What's the deal with carving mahogany? Is it super hard? What's good & bad about it? I'm all about trying to carve the free wood that is indigineous to the area & also has great coloring.

I have to admit, I am really starting to get stoked about the possibilities of carving outside of the palm realm.

And yeah, the bark is gray & black and does peel off.

You are on the boundery of where mahogany can grow. It is a sub tropical wood that is all over South FL - Tampa is on the edge of the temperate zone. The leaves are small and grow in clusters. That is the easiest way to identify the tree. Bugs like the sapwood so make sure you store the wood off the ground.

I like the Mahogany because of the color and spalting. The milled wood goes for around $10/board foot making it an expensive option if you want to build or carve with it. The heartwood has a rich reddish tone and the sapwood has interesting spalting (color lines) and takes stain nicely. Mahogany can be a bit chippy when carving (similar to pine or cedar), so be aware when you start carving anything that sticks out or may be subject to stress. Why do I like it so much - because I can get free and the wood is beautiful (there is one place in the US that Mahogany grows).

As you graduate to hard wood, you have to remember that the wood dries slower and is prone to different issues than palm. Checking (cracking) is common. Checking occurs as the wood dries - the outside dries faster than the center and as it dries it shrinks. The shrinking will start with a small crack and you will watch it spread as the log continues to dry. If you can, let the wood dry without the bark for at least 6 months. After you let the wood dry some, the checks should be visible and you will be able to work around them (if there are any). When carving you will notice that your tools stay sharper longer than with Palm. Chainsaws and grinders work but not with the same zeal as with Palm.

If your buddy has a whole tree cut up - I say grab it. Take the leftovers to a mill and sell/trade it!! SFL Mahogany is a hot comodity to wood turners and furniture makers.

P

wow...ok. Well, I'm going to cut into this piece & see where it goes.

I guess it will become obvious whether or not it's mahogany once I get inside it.

Pages: 1 4 replies