Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what kind of red shirts are these???

Pages: 1 12 replies

S
S

or rather, what is this type of shirt called?

The image is kinda small, I can't see them in much detail, but they sort of remind me of a garment called a "happi."

Bear

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2011-07-22 19:05 ]

Found a nice example;

Bear

S

thx brudda!

[ Edited by: sleestak 2011-07-22 19:36 ]

I thought they looked like 70s athletic warm-up jackets :wink:

Glad to be a help, Slee.

Mike... :roll:

:lol:

Bear

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2011 9:54 PM

Welshy, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Those shirts do look comfy.

I found a much better resolution pic at but it uploads smaller on when when I post it to TC, here is the original It looks like the guy on the far right with the long-necked Sukarta Bass Ukulele* has a notched collar and that they have a have a pocket on the left chest under the white stripe. Looks like Martin Denny could be wearing the same shirt in white - same collar, same slits at sleeves and hips. His is a bit easier to see the details

*OK, I have no idea what that instrument is :lol:

On 2011-07-23 08:15, MadDogMike wrote:
It looks like the guy on the far right with the long-necked Sukarta Bass Ukulele* has a notched collar and that they have a have a pocket on the left chest under the white stripe. Looks like Martin Denny could be wearing the same shirt in white - same collar, same slits at sleeves and hips. His is a bit easier to see the details

Good internet sleuthing Mike. Much better pics. It's easier to see that the shirts are not happi. Not sure if they are anything specific, perhaps just some 1960s baggy shirt that's a loose interpretation of Asian fashion. It's sure not a Nehru jacket or a dashiki.

On 2011-07-23 08:15, MadDogMike wrote:
*OK, I have no idea what that instrument is :lol:

I think it's a Japanese three stringed instrument called a sanshin.

Bear

G
Gavin posted on Mon, Jul 25, 2011 1:02 PM

Hard to tell if that is a Sanshin or a Shamisen. The instrument, not the shirts. Either way, sort of like a
Japanese Lute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqGQa-Hx110

Gavin,

Bingo! I believe you nailed that one. Shamisen, much closer than the one I posted.

Now if we could just figure those shirts out for sleestak.

Bear

Pages: 1 12 replies