Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving tunes..what I listen to...you?

Pages: 1 25 replies

yesterday was Miles Davis E.S.P...pretty mellow but got a lot done..post your own combos here

Was listening to the Beastie Boys last night. Most of the time I just listen to the voices in my head!

Disclaimer: I personally never, ever, ever, ever listen to any sort of Exotica or "Tiki Music," unless I'm stuck at some tiki event...those albums just don't set the right "tone" for me.

With that said,

I pretty much listen to the same albums over and over and over when I carve.

Here's my work rotation:

Rolling Stones: Sticky fingers, Exile on Main St.
David Bowie: Live at the Tower in Philly, Pinups, Hunky Dory,Man who sold the world, Diamond Dogs
Talking heads: 77, More songs about buildings and food
Meat Puppets: I, II, Up on The Sun
Elvis Costello: This Year's Model, My Aim is True
U2: joshua Tree
Various: 20 Reggae Classics vol 1 and 4

Lot of albums, but I carve a lot and these choice albums seem to keep me in "the zone." On any average day of carving I'll listen to 5-6 of those beore I'm tired of music and work in silence.

Buzzy Out!

kudos to meat puppets & carving!! good combo
I actually DO listen to a lot of obscure HI garbage and some exotica whilst carving...
THE SOUNDS OF TIKI is real great for inspiration
today however...

Heptones In Love With You on UA..when reggae exploded in
the early 70s all labels had to junp on the bandwagon & these were some great comps

P

reggae!

On 2011-07-24 12:10, AlohaStation wrote:
Was listening to the Beastie Boys last night. Most of the time I just listen to the voices in my head!

"voices in your head " ha ha ha ha ha......

listen to blues, stevie ray vaughan, and old jazz, some classical music, and when the beer is cracked open country and new orleans bluegrass/creole. very little reggae anymore....taking a break. still love marley

I like pandora radio on my iphone. i get to here alot of music I normaly would never have the chance to discover on my own.

aaaaah to have some crawfish and a cold beer....

I don't have a rule against exotica. Sometimes it puts me in the right frame of mind, especially in February. (I don't get those kind of sunsets in PA Buzzy!) Tonight I had on Animals from Pink Floyd.

The majority of the time, I carve to old 50's blues, mainly Howlin Wolf.
But I do mix it up with Sabbath, Polka, and assorted styles between those two. 8)

G

I usually like a lot of percussion while I carve so I like to listen to:

Chaino
Preston Epps
Jack Costanzo
Perez Prado
Augie Colon
Don Ralke
Rolley Polley

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 5:11 PM

Great subject bb moondog. I NEVER carve without listening to something. Les Claypool, Dead Milkmen, Satans' Pilgrims, Nice Nice, Melvins, Mr. Bungle, Deadbolt, Sadies, Ween, BH Surfers, Murder by Death. Now you all know why my tikis look the way they do.

POLKA!!!???

On 2011-07-26 18:15, MadDogMike wrote:
POLKA!!!???

I grew up in heavily Polish area, and the music was everywhere as a kid.
This vid isn't "pure" polka, but the title fits here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9b5vybKA_E
Rotondi was kind of a punk-polka band from LA in maybe 1990? They came to SD a lot. :D
The singer went on to be a character in The Sopranos.
And I do have a couple cassettes I recorded off the radio of Sunday Polka shows from Western Massachusetts public radio. 8)

H

On 2011-07-26 19:18, 4WDtiki wrote:

On 2011-07-26 18:15, MadDogMike wrote:
POLKA!!!???

I grew up in heavily Polish area, and the music was everywhere as a kid.
This vid isn't "pure" polka, but the title fits here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9b5vybKA_E
Rotondi was kind of a punk-polka band from LA in maybe 1990? They came to SD a lot. :D
The singer went on to be a character in The Sopranos.
And I do have a couple cassettes I recorded off the radio of Sunday Polka shows from Western Massachusetts public radio. 8)

Speaking of Polka, one has to mention:

POLKACIDE: San Francisco's one and only hardcore polka band

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 9:23 PM

Polka changed my life today. Rotondi COOKS!

Maybe next Oasis can be a PolkaTiki Theme - Otto? :D

you know, sometimes SKA reminds me of polka and vice versa...I rediscovered the Equators LP and carve often to that

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2011 10:24 AM

My next tiki Ty Rolian

AHAHAHAHA!!! Excellent, Cy!!

LEDERHOSEN,,,yimmeny!

the equators truly helped today..the log WAS blank first thing this AM

N

Very good idea!!

I carved a little today listening to Rage Against the Machine self titled album. Usually I prefer much more mellow music to carve to but today was different. I think it is evident in the way the carving is turning out :) And this is the first time I carved Oak. I broke out a small piece that has been sitting in my garage for sometime...Has a few bugs in it but there was no stopping when Rage is on...

Richie Allen ..old surfin stuff..CD even!!

Americas NO. 1 SURF BAND

BM

well at least ONE person finds this post compelling..too bad its ME

CITY by Job Hassell..read Oceans of Sound the other day and am getting back into exotic ambient..its pretty great to carve to and I have a bunch of it..all on cassette though

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2011 6:14 PM

I'm still with you bbmd. Been carving to the Hula Girls (Crazy Al on bird calls), Ding Dong Devils, and Insect Surfers. Also checked out what others are listening to. Like Chaino and Preston Epps and just got my copy of polka rockers Rotondi. (Could not find a Polkacide cd) Thanks guys for hippin' me to some new material.

Listened to Richland Washington's the Ashamed for the angry factor on the back side.(Not recommended for the feint of heart.)

[ Edited by: cy 2011-08-03 18:34 ]

I just picked up the new Tikiyaki Orchestra CD, so that's what I started out with today.

I usually post on facebook what my daily carving music is, with a link to the youtube version.

Donovan Frankenreiter today..with Jack Johnson guesting..he sounds a LOT like Jack..both are ex-pro surfers...good mellow slacker music

Pages: 1 25 replies