Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Review - "Aloha Baby!" by The Tikiyaki Orchestra

Pages: 1 12 replies

JB

Aloha. I am compelled to write a review of this album because, frankly, I have a lot to say about it.

With “Aloha Baby!”, The Tikiyaki Orchestra proves, once again, that they are so far above anyone else in this musical genre that it is only a matter of time before they no longer belong to just our Tiki Community. This album solidifies that they truly are in a class by themselves. The “tiki bar” has been raised, once again. Ironic, because they raised on themselves from the last album.

The album opens with “Theme for the Jetsetters”, seamlessly continuing right where we left off after the last album “Swingin’ Sounds for the Jungle Jetset!”. However, as that first track ends and the sounds of our plane lands…we are then transported into another world.

The second track, “Polynesian Village Love Theme” is a lush (no pun intended), beautiful Hawaiian-style tune (complete with ukulele…a Tikiyaki first if I’m not mistaken) that will evoke images of a tropical paradise or a Brady Bunch montage of sight-seeing around the island.

No one can accuse Jim Bacchi of not being able to write a catchy tune, and the title track “Aloha Baby!” is no exception. And it keeps getting more exciting from there…

“Aloha Baby!” is a very sophisticated album, rich with mixture of Exotica, Crime Jazz and “Tiki Noir”. “In Search of Mei Ting” sounds like the ultimate “detective in the night time Hawaiian underground” soundtrack. And “Kono’s Revenge” is a show stopper of show stoppers. The album ends thematically as the last one did with “Hawai’I Nocturne”, which lulls us off peacefully, much like “Poku Moho” did on the “Jungle Jetset” album.

The entire album exhibits such a confidence in itself that it seems impossible not to appreciate it’s very existence. The Tikiyaki Orchestra has evolved from Jim Bacchi’s grand solo experiment to a bona fide orchestra that really knows what they’re doing...and clearly has fun doing it. They are truly masters of their craft and it really shines through in this album.

This is really an incredible album. It is so well constructed that you owe it to yourself to listen to it in the exact order as it is designed. Putting your iPod on shuffle or random would steal some of the artistry of this album like cheap booze lessens the Mai Tai.

Aloha Baby!
Joe Banks

[ Edited by: Joe Banks 2011-07-24 16:31 ]

J

On 2011-07-24 16:30, Joe Banks wrote:

...The Tikiyaki Orchestra proves, once again, that they are so far above anyone else in this musical genre...

Agree 200% !! Funny, I was just saying those EXACT words today at Don's.

I came to that conclusion with "Jungle Jetset", the "Godfather Part II" of modern Exotica. :)

I just scored the new CD and can't wait to listen to it.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-24 23:45 ]

Great revue! Check out my show "Cocktail Nation" this weekend for an interview with Jim from the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

http://www.cocktailnation.net

I knew the tikiyaki orchestra would be awesome after watching their first gig at Holden's tiki farm event, many years ago. This is what happens when you have a strong bandleader who has a vision and then makes it happen. What I like especially about the band is not just the music but the people involved. Jim is very approaceable and friendly....and I cannot say the same about some other similar "exotica" groups that are out there. They just don't connect with the fans like Jim's group does.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 12:10 PM

Kono's Revenge. GROG' favorite.

H

I just got my copy and WOW! It's like an audio vacation! Each cd is even better than the last one, which seems impossible, since each one's been so good, but there it is. And I am so loving the entire time-warp Polynesian Resort vibe. Everything is so spot-on - the sound, the graphics, the place names for the various lounges and restaurants of the "hotel". Awesome. Fantastic job all around.

I want to live in Tikiyaki World! :drink:

AF

Kono's Revenge makes me check my rear view mirror! :)

On 2011-07-29 17:02, A frame wrote:
Kono's Revenge makes me check my rear view mirror! :)

Too funny! The first time I listened to the CD was on my way to work and I had to check my rear view mirror!

don't you think it needs just a little more cowbell?

W

I love the new CD. I caught myself whistling "Mysteria" on the way home from work the other day. I had to play the disc again as soon as I got in the house.

the show with Jim Bacchi talking about "Aloha Baby" is online now. To hear the show goto http://www.cocktailnation.net

RB

Outstanding album!

was listening to this in the backyard last weekend,
on the way to the beach on sun., and in the house last night.

I often play it over and over,
very infectious.

in a good way.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 12 replies