Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Sad news

Pages: 1 26 replies

K

I'm sad to say we lost one of the ohana last weekend. Former Texas tikiphile and avid tiki collector Frank Zumwalt, aka Bifcozz here on TC passed away Friday. He had suffered injuries in an explosion earlier this month on their boat in Fort Lauderdale where he and his wife Jackie have been living. Jackie aka Pa'akiki is still recovering from burns also.

Much love goes out to Jackie and her family from me, and all the Texas ohana. If you wish to send personal condolences, please PM Jackie or PM me and I will give you Jackie's email address.

Always sad to hear such news. Although I did not know him personally my thoughts go to his family and friends.

T

Oh man, that IS tragic....Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to his family.

JB

Very sad. I'm so sorry.

Oh that's awful, so sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family.

I was a fan of his posts.

Godspeed, man. Thoughts & prayers to his family & friends.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 25, 2011 6:48 PM

Sad news. GROG send condolences.

Very sad - Frank was a good guy.

That's very sad news. Thoughts are with their family. They were both very welcoming when we made a trip to Hawaii.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to The Zumwalt Family

K

I was stunned to get this news. I only met Frank & Jackie once last year when they drove from Houston to Dallas in the snow to check out the remains of a certain recently closed tiki establishment. They literally took home the front doors as I recall. He also brought along a container filled with menus, matchbooks, swizzles, postcards...I made some great trades that day!

He was a true collector dedicated to the preservation of tiki...and also a super nice guy. Wish I’d had an opportunity to know him better. Our best to Jackie & family.

What terrible news. Heartfelt condolences go out to Jackie and the rest of the Zumwalt family. Frank (Bifcozz) was truly one of the great Tiki collectors and urban archeologists. His contributions here on TC will be missed.

DC

I am in utter disbelief! These passionate collectors posted some of the best and rarest Tiki ephemera ever to appear on here. They obviously had the eye and dedication to unearth amazing material. What a shock, and loss for the community. My condolences, and best wishes for Jackie's recovery. I never post here, but this is really sad news.

So terrible to hear this. my deepest sympathies.

Arrrrr :(

U

Our deepest sympathies goes out to the entire Zumwalt family. Frank was a class guy and a class act. Craig and Linda Long

My condolences to the family too upon this tragic loss.

GK

I was lucky enough to get to know Frank and traded items with him years back. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

God Bless Bifcozz

[ Edited by: bail tekey 2011-08-01 10:08 ]

P

Thank you all for your kind words. I am recovering well from my injuries. we had a gathering at the house for Frank with the local ohana and our neighbors. At the time of the accident 3 of our daughters where out of the country and our other daughter was in Texas. I can't thank Tikirenee and her husband enough for the support they gave them when they got here and of course the continued support they are giving to me. Our Tiki collection brought a lot of fun and adventure for us both. Kenike, I have my flip video of driving to Dallas in a blizzard. The doors are now in our dinning room. i was given the task many years ago to scan all our paper items. ( i am still working on this project) I hope to post some of our collection in the future.
jackie

Jackie,

Thanks for checking in and wishing you a continued speedy recovery. Look forward to seeing posts of some of your collection sometime.

DC

BB

Glad to hear that you're recovering well Pa'akiki, that's very good news. :)

My condolences go out to the family.

T

I just saw this thread. Horrible news. What a loss!
I was fortunate enough to do some long distance trading and some sales with Frank. He was a great guy and I always looked forward to reading his posts. His knowledge and collection was vast and he was always willing to discuss things with me. I liked dealing with him and wish I could have met him in person.

My heart felt condolences to Jackie their children and the whole Zumwalt family.
You will be severely missed on here Bifcozz. You have left something we can all look back on.
Thank you.

TabooDan
BC, Canada

[ Edited by: taboodan 2011-08-24 12:32 ]

S

Very sorry to hear this. Meeting you guys was the best memory of Hukilau this year. My thoughts are with you.

All the times we came together over tikis and eBay just flooded back. I remember so much about your home and business in Hawaii and your move to the mainland. I'm so sorry to read that Frank has passed. My heart goes out to you and your family. Sincerely, Wendy

I am happy to say that Jackie is doing good. She is working on making her a nice tiki bar area with the Ren Clark tiki bar. We "baptised" it last week with Mai Tais and other drinks to make sure the process goes smoothly.

HJ

Sao sad. Condolences to those who mourn.

Pages: 1 26 replies