Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Slate.com article: "Beyond Bacardi: Rum deserves more respect."

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

http://www.slate.com/id/2300068/
Beyond simple quality, one factor driving increased aged-rum interest is the more general boom in high-quality cocktails. Bartenders looking for new ingredients are discovering there's more to rum than they thought, and whole bars are adopting rum themes, looking to cash in on the tiki-drink revival.
Jean Georges, a master blender at Angostura (the same company that makes those legendary bitters) believes many of his new customers first taste his products on vacation. Apparently, a new breed of Caribbean vacationers expects more from their travels than reggae cover bands. They're seeking out more "authentic" experiences and tastes, including the region's aged rum. Visitors spend a week in the Caribbean enjoying quality rum at excellent prices and refuse to settle for Bacardi after they get home.

Rum will have it's time again. Whiskey and tequila are holding on strong right now as the premium booze of choice. Infused vodkas are lingering in the background.

Smugglers Cove is doing a damn fine job of resurrecting good rum.

A recent Harris poll that I saw in a restaurant trade magazine broke down these percentages among adults who imbibe at least several times a year, asked what they drink:

Beer 63%
Domestic wine 54%
Vodka 41%
Rum 34%
Tequila 28%
Imported wine 28%
Whiskey (Irish, Canadian, etc.) 20%
Champagne 17%
Cordials and liqueurs 17%
Bourbon 15%
Gin 14%
Scotch 11%
Cognac 8%
Brandy/Armagnac 7%

A respectable showing for rum, but we've got to find a way to cut into vodka's way-too-high percentage.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2011 7:03 AM

I fear that rum they are drinking is probably Malibu...

RB

I'd add Bacardi & Captain Morgan to that, Swanky

They're most likely swilling flavored vodkas too, so it's probably a standoff there.

However, an article in today's paper painted a little more distressing picture. It quoted the spokeswoman for the Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S. on the top overall liquors sold in the U.S. Vodka holds a 31 percent share while rum is a distant second with 13 percent.

Join the struggle:
http://rumrevolution.net

Pages: 1 5 replies