Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Question about drink preparation....

Pages: 1 2 replies

Hurricane Hayward posted in the Disney Polynesian resort thread with a link to some drink recipes for the Tambu Lounge.

Link to the thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5863&forum=2&start=60&62

Link to the recipes:

http://www.partythroughtheparks.com/disney-resort-drink-recipes/2011/3/20/polynesian-resort.html

Since I'm fairly new at this whole mixology thing....some of these drinks just have a list of ingredients, no preparation instructions. I'm assuming that if there are no specific directions that it's the standard "put everything in a shaker with ice, shake and strain"? Is there a "standard procedure" that a mixologist would fall back on if a recipe has no prep instructions?

The "Tropical Macaw" has instructions on layering the ingredients, but the do not have any instructions. Their "Pina Colada" doesn't have any specific instructions... I'm assuming Dizzyland/Dizzyworld would blend w/ice?? Or do they just "shake and strain" (which I prefer, anyway).

Edit: Just read again.... it does call for the blender for the pina colada....duh.

thanks,
howlinowl

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2011-07-28 07:14 ]

Although most drinks call for the standard "Shake with ice and strain", there are many variations of preparation methods. Some popular (but by no means all) methods include:

• Shake with ice and pour into glass, ice and all.

• Build in glass (e.g. Old Fashioned and Mojito)

• For drinks without fruit juice, stir with ice and strain (e.g. Martini and Manhattan).

• For drinks with egg whites, a vigorous "dry shake" without ice and a quick "shake and strain" with ice (e.g. Pisco Sour).

And if you read through the old tiki books, you'll see that they can get very specific with blender drink preparation as well. The tasting experience for a crushed ice drink (think Mint Julep) and the fully blended texture of a Pina Colada are very, very different.

Sometimes between a good drink pic and the guidelines above you can figure it out, but the bottom line is that preparation method should absolutely be included with any recipe.

I thought this thread was going to be about how one prepares for a night of drinking.

I try to drink some coffee, and water, and make sure I've had some solid food before I line up a rack of zombies...

Pages: 1 2 replies