Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Big lots Hobby knife kit

Pages: 1 2 replies

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jul 28, 2011 8:57 PM

Aloha, Big lots has these hobby knife kits for just 2 bucks, The blades are kinda shitty but i thought it might be good for beginners wanting to play around ( just be careful).. at the very least the handles are decent for hook blades and the exacto handle is better and cheaper then the brand name ones, and you can use the box to hold your carving stuff>

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook

[ Edited by: kirby 2011-07-28 20:58 ]

I've used similar handles - you get what you pay for.

I have always had issues with breaking or wearing out handles - especially Xactos. I have been searching for a better mechanism with the same feel. The issue was that they are all made of aluminum and when you are using them like I do the alum tends to bend or lose its grip. I recently found OLFA handles, they have their own good and bad points. The #11 blades don't sit as deep making the blades prone to snapping. However the mechanism is made from brass and designed for a stronger hold. Slight mods will be made to satisfy my specific needs. Their priced similar to the comfort grip Xactos.

http://www.olfaproducts.com/SPD/olfa-ak-4-olfa-precision-art-knife--8FA0000-1144435024.jsp

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2011-07-29 08:53 ]

T

I think for $2 it might be worth it. Hard to tell if the blades are sharp in this kit. They will probably dull quickly (but so do Xacto blades when wood carving). Hopefully, any newbies picking up this kit will also pick up some extra fine sandpaper so they can sharpen these back up after each carving session.

Get your $2 kit and a stick/branch. See if u like this carving thing. :)

Be careful! These suckers are more dangerous than chisels (IMHO).

Pages: 1 2 replies