Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Hawaiian Christmas Tradewinds Records help with info

Pages: 1 17 replies

I have a record album that my folks got when my dad was in the Navy and we were living in Honolulu called "Hawaiian Christmas" by Tradewinds Records. I dearly love this album it gets played every single Christmas, it would not be Christmas without it. But I have wondered for years if the artists on it recorded any other records? I love their melodic voices, and the music arrangements are incredible. Does anyone know anything about any of these artists, or maybe some more information on the record label? I would love to track down more albums in the same vein as this one it is a absolute childhood favorite.

Copy might be a bit small to read for the artist section it reads:

"Noelani Kanoho Mahoe with the Leo Nahenahe Singers (Lynette Kaopuiki Paglinawan, Moa Noelani Teves, Ethelynne Kaleimokihana Teves), backed by Harold Hakuole (bass guitar), Francis Hookano, (vibes), Albert Kaaliau (guitar), Clarence Hohu (drums), and Leland Isaacs (slack key guitar). Hawaiians and their music are like ham and eggs or pig and poi- inseparable. Not only that, an awfully lot of them are awfully good. And many of the very good have a disarmingly casual attitude about this talent. They may, or may not use it professionally though quite often they are "sometime" professionals. Such are the music-makers of this album. Only Francis Hookano is a full time professional musician. All are top notch musicians. The Leo Nahenahe Singers easily combine various occupations and their music with being "just housewives". Exuding Hawaiian charm and casual air, they are recognized as being among the most excellent of small vocal groups in Hawaii. Their recordings are featured at Bishop Museum and University of Hawaii as they are appreciated for their authentic approach to Hawaiian music and their vocal clarity and precision. And musical arranger for the album, Harold Hakuole, is very special. His imagination relentlessly lively; his "ear" unusually keen; his way with people something of a rarity. Here he plays the electric bass guitar. And at other times piano, string bass, and a goodly number of other instruments. He ranks among the top steel guitarists of Hawaii. Still, to Harold, as to all of the boys and girls, music is mainly for happiness--Christmas and year around."

H

Hi - a search in iTunes found Noelani Kanoho Mahoe (as "Noelani and the Twiliters" on an album called "Evening in the Islands". It also includes Harold Hakuole as well, so you may find the sounds are close enough to what you like. Worth a look, if you haven't checked it out already.

Thanks Hibiscus! I will check it out, I never thought to look on there I really have never used i-tunes. I appreciate the help. :)

I am guessing from the little info I have found via google is that Tradewinds Records are difficult to find because they seem to have been made only for and distributed in Hawaii. I can't seem to find too much history on the company though unless my google skills are just crappy right now. I did find out they were around for quite some time and produced a fairly large number of records but not much on their founding and history.

Hi!
The name that popped out to me was Leland "Atta" Isaacs. Cyril Pahinui, Gabby Pahinui's son and a great slack key guitarist and singer himself, referred to Gabby, Atta and Sonny Clillingworth as three original great slack key guitarists. His brother was the iconic steel guitarist Barney Isaacs. I first heard them on the Ry Cooder produced album "the gabby pahinui hawaiian band vol 1". So you have one more great piece to your puzzle. (I recommend the gabby band album)
aloha, tikicoma

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2011-07-31 23:23 ]

Hey tikicoma, thanks for that extra great info! Really appreciate it! The Gabby album sounds good I will have to hunt that one down. :)

K

Noelani Mahoe & The Leo Nahenahe Singers recorded several LPs on the Trade Winds label:

1. Folk Songs Of Hawaii, Tradewinds TR-110.
  2. Hawaii's Folk Singers, Tradewinds TR-115
  3. Hawaii's Nahenahe Singers, Tradewinds TS-1125. (I don't know why they droped the "Leo" on the last LP.
K

There's a bit of information about Tradewinds Records in the Record Industry section of a 1979 book "Hawaiian Music & Musicians", George Kanahele, editor. I scanned the paragraphs. Hope you can read them.

If you should ever come across this book anywhere, BUY IT. It's out of print & is probably the absolute best resourse book on Hawaiian music/artists ever. On the rare occassions it shows up on ebay or locally here in Hawaii it seems to ftech a VERY high price ($80++), so grab it if you see it a Goodwill or somewhere.

Thanks Kaiwaza! That is some great info! I will look into that book at our local bookstore when I get a chance. We have a bookstore downtown called Powell's City of Books that is a entire city block and three stories tall, they often can special order out of print books and sometimes at pretty decent prices.

Does that book tell you if all of Tradewinds Records releases were distributed only in Hawaii? I ask because the Christmas record I have has in very tiny lettering on the cover: "only available in Hawaii", which is something I don't think I have ever heard of before for any company. If all of them were only available in Hawaii, it is going to make finding any others extremely difficult.

I really appreciate the great info and help! :)

T

Now I'm getting curious, the vibes player Francis Hookano, was part of Herb Ohta's trio and on a couple of Ohta-Sans albums. He was also on two of Brother Iz's albums and on a Jerry Byrd album (christmas in hawaii). Looks like the to go to vibe player in Hawaii. Does anyone know more about this player? I've never never heard him play!
craving more, tikicoma, aloha

K

Yes, Tigertail, Tradewinds Records were only sold/distributed in Hawaii. They were never really geared toward a mainland or tourist market and the content on the LPs were generally just material that the islanders actually LIKED...:) The other labels in Hawaii around the same time...Waikiki Records, 49th State Hawaii Records, while popular w/ islanders were also always marketed towards the tourist trade/mainland market w/ mixed content.

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2011-08-03 16:16 ]

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Kaiwaza. :)

Are Tradewinds Records hard to find currently in Hawaii? What kinds of prices do they generally fetch?

K

Honestly, I don't see them around very often...plus, we really only have one or two used record shops. I have quite a few of them that I got in years past. I'd say prices can vary widely but I believe I've seen them hovering somewhere between $8-$20. I believe that Christmas Lp was reisuued on CD, but I don't think any other Trade Winds LPs have been reissued. I don't recall EVER seeing one at a thrift store, which is were I do most of my record shopping, but I do see them at the collector's shows we have a few times a year once in awhile. The 49th State Hawaii records can fetch RIDICULOUS prices....$50+++...which kills me because while living in Oregon I got TONS of them at the $1.00 record shop and even in the 3-for-A-Dollar rack at some shops...since they aren't listed in the mainland record guides, the dealers don't know what they heck they are. I got a SEALED 49th State record at a show in Oregon for FIFTY CENTS...lol. I think I have all the 49th State LPs now. Actually, I probably have all the trade Winds ones as well...never seen a full catalog to know for sure.

Ok Kaiwaza, I gotta know where you were shopping in Oregon that you found those records so cheap...cause guess where I am located? lol. Goodwill stores around here have gotten insanely ridiculous with their prices: they charge collector's prices for many things now, gone are the days you could get a good bargain ludicrously cheap. Not to mention the fact that I swear everyone and their grandmother 'round here buys stuff to specifically sell on ebay.

So maybe you know some local hole in the wall I don't? I am in the Portland area, but I have lived previously on the coast in the Coos Bay area and I know some of the small coastal towns do still have good bargains. I have not seen the beach areas in years though...sigh.

So... where do I find them fifty cent records? Hmm? Inquiring minds wanna know. :wink:

K

Well, I lived in Portland for 6 years in the 90's...so I'm sure all those shops may no longer be there PLUS this was really pre-eBay & people weren't grabbing things up for resale. I KNOW this place is no longer there, but I can't BEGIN to tell you how many Hawaiian/Exotica LPs i picked up a Rip City Music which used to be on SE Hawthorn. I still dream about that place. It was a huge store, nearly a warehouse (literally) with just thousands & thousands of records and everything was $1.00. They didn't categorize anything..you just have to go through hundreds of racks. They put the new additions at the front of the store. I lived just a few blocks away, so i was there several times a week. It was heaven, really.
I got plenty of 3-For-$1.00 Hawaiian stuff at Django's, downtown, which may still be there. The major label stuff went for more, but most of the Hawaiian label stuff, they had no idea what it was and tossed it in the cheap bin.
If you ever make your way up to Washington, my cousin was living in Hoaquim or Aberdeen (can't remember which & they are "twin towns" together anyway) and there was some little place called "Judy's Collectibles" i stopped in by chance. Oddly, she literally had more than 100 Hawaiian LPs...amazing.
I imagine the scene has changed.

Sheds a tear for Djangos
I LOVED Djangos LOVED! But a corporation bought them out about 4-5 years ago and tried to make a chain and streamline the place. When they did that the first thing they did was get rid of all those fantastic wood crates of records that were always there as you went up the ramp. Then they stopped ordering the more esoteric stuff and went mainstream resembling a blockbusters video with some music thrown in. Needless to say, only about a year and half after the corporation took over they went belly up. Unfortunately at the time I was not really into the exotica music or may have found some bargains. Although I am pretty sure if it had a kick ass Hawaiian themed cover to it I would have bought it regardless of the music, and I used to go through those crates with a fine tooth comb. I did find some awesome soundtracks, and some heavy metal but that is another tale. :wink:

EEEEK! Records was also another pretty good place, along with Gator Music but they have both been gone for years as well. Portland is changing fast, and it isn't all for the better. Too many people are moving here from other states to escape the crowding/noise/pollution and bringing the problems with them unwilling to let go of the habits that caused their old places to be uninhabitable (rant over).

Thanks for sharing. If I ever get up Washington way I will have to scope out the place if you give me the exact name and general area. Hundreds you say? Arrr! Sounds like there be treasure in Washington! :wink:

K

Thanks Kaiwaza! I'll be sure to check them out next time I am up that way. :)

Pages: 1 17 replies