Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The TRADER VIC'S double play

Pages: 1 7 replies

M

Scottsdale now has the proud dishonor of seeing TWO Trader Vic's open and close in its history!
San Francisco previously was the only one (to my knowledge) up to this time. Can any other cities claim this dubious distinction? Oh wait....Chicago and Dallas are some more Trader Vics in this Tiki Hall of Shame! Any others?

If a place closed for a few months for renovation shouldn't count if it eventually closed after reopening. Dallas for example was closed period, but rehabbed and opened years later..so it counts!

I don't think a triple play has ever happened.

Hey, why not start a whole new forum here on TC entitled "Closed Tiki Bars". And while we're at it, install a "Tiki Bar Death List", where we all can speculate and bet on which ones will be next! Mixed in will be doomsday news about the current economic crisis, and theories about where this country is heading! Yippee, that'll really get the party rolling. :)

Aloha,

On 2011-08-01 08:37, mrsmiley wrote:
Scottsdale now has the proud dishonor of seeing TWO Trader Vic's open and close in its history!
San Francisco previously was the only one (to my knowledge) up to this time. Can any other cities claim this dubious distinction? Oh wait....Chicago and Dallas are some more Trader Vics in this Tiki Hall of Shame! Any others?

Honolulu should be added to this list with two "Lost" locations. Both the original
One on Ward Avenue (that Vic was involved with for 4 months before the blowup
with Granny Abbott) in the 1940's, closing in 1967. Then the Spencecliff shop
At the International Market Place closing in the early 90's...

Q

Actually, San Francisco has had two open and close in it's history, although they closed each of them a decade apart from each other.

[ Edited by: quickiki 2011-08-01 13:30 ]

M

Yes, Bigbro, I guess you are right that this is a gloomy thread. I was saddened about the closing of Scottsdale and probably thought about it too much when I created this. I don't mean to pick on Trader Vic's, often the closings are franchisees choices and as a chain, Trader Vics has a greater chance of having duplicate closings than say a one-off tiki bar. BigBro, you should have offered me a hug, as it is not Mr. Smileys custom to be gloomy! :)
I am still sad this location closed. Inky and I had great memories there. The sadness of the closings of other locations I have been to like both SF locations has worn off a little over time. I was somewhat happy to see Las Vegas close-only in the respect that I think it was damaging the Brand of Trader Vic's.

time for some Zoloft! oof...

I will hug you all you like at Oasis, big boy! :)

On a further positive note, LA's double play is having two Trader Vics open simultaneously:

LA Live:

Beverly Hills poolside:

Pages: 1 7 replies