Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Pacific Voyagers at Treasure Island, SF 8/2-8/14

Pages: 1 1 replies

A

This fleet of vakas sailed into Clipper Cove at Treasure Island yesterday. I shot these from my 2nd floor studio window as they were arriving. Too bad the sails were down! They talk about that on the blog (link below)

They have sailed a LONG way ! Here's the Pacific Voyagers website:

from the Voyage page:
"On shore: San Francisco. Open day for anyone to visit the vaka 6th August 10-4pm. Welcome Ceremony at Treasure Island 7th August 1pm."

http://www.pacificvoyagers.org/

Swing by the island if you can- it's spectacular this time of year. (and free!)
Clipper Cove is to the right as you come down the road onto the island.

(I have no idea how well publicized this is, so check traffic maps at 511.org)

Got to see 3 of the vaka yesterday. The sailed over to Chrissy Field for the the start of the annual Round the Rock outrigger canoe race. The vaka came aground and the crews came out on their front decks and each performed a Haka. In the cold morning fog, with the Golden Gate in the background... Chicken skin (and not from the cold)!
A bunch of us had to go into the water to help push Te Matau a Maui (the Maori vaka) back off the sand and into the bay. Her carvings adorning the bow are beautiful!

The vaka will be on treasure island until Thursday, August 11th when they depart for Monterey. If you're able to make it out to see them, it's worth the time and maybe a once in a lifetime chance.
Aloha
:tiki:

Pages: 1 1 replies