Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Disneyland Anaheim - best store for tiki souvenirs?

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

Hey all

I'm sure I read on here somewhere you can buy souvenirs of the likes of Enchanted Tiki Room - but can't find it now. I'll bet there are tons of Disney souvenir shops in the park and DTD - which is best for tiki stuff? We'll only be on a daytrip so don't want to waste time looking in too many stores.

Think we're going the day before Halloween, should be a blast!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: cathuna 2011-08-07 06:15 ]

South Seas Traders, Adventureland Bazaar, Indiana Jones Bazaar (I think I can't remember the full name to the Indy one). They are all located in Adventureland all three pretty much next to each other sort of across from the Jungle Cruise area.

Getting anything tiki specific is however pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they carry tiki stuff, sometimes they don't or it sells out.

Also if I recall there is a penny smashing machine in the penny arcade on main street that does a tiki room penny (and I think there MIGHT be one in the above shops, sometimes Disney locates those machines in weird places so the collectors have to seek them out. I think there is a site online that tells you where to find them all though).

Don't forget to get your fortune told by "Shrunken Head Ned" the jungle's only self service witch doctor. (photo courtesy of disneyshawn blogspot)

Its a unique really fun fortune teller machine in a very tiki style, and you get a souvineer fortune card (a different one each time for up to around 10 times I have all of them I couldn't resist). Also of course a great photo taking opportunity. :wink: Ned is located in the Adventureland Bazaar as well, and if you like Aladdin there is a cute fortune teller of the lamp in the shop too (no keepsakes from that one, but it is a cute show). Oh yes, and lately the Dole pineapple cart outside of the tiki room has been giving out postcards of Dole recipes and they have the tiki figures on them, you may need to buy a Dole whip or something from the cart to get one now because people were snagging handfuls to sell on ebay just ask the people behind the counter.

I know you said your time is limited, but be absolutely sure you ride Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye at least once (preferably a few times because it changes slightly each time for up to about 20 rides). Get a fastpass for Indy early on if you can, but be sure and enjoy the que as you walk through to get to the ride. Most folks just run past it all but it is really a attraction unto itself and helps tell more of the ride back story to help you really appreciate the ride more. If they are working correctly pull on the rope to the excavation below in the que to hear some irritated workers, and pull the bamboo pole that sticks out in a "cave" part of the que for a surprise. Also if it is your first time, don't rush let everyone else go ahead as you enjoy the que especially when you get to the pre-movie part right before the boarding area. The Pre-movie is really fun to watch and stars John Rhys Davies in his "Sallah" role. It is about 8-10 minutes before it loops over to the beginning again if you want to watch the whole thing. It has little 30 second or so breaks in between because originally this is the main room where people would wait to board, but with fastpass there is little waiting for most now. Disneyland is the only park that has this version of Indy, there is a signifigantly different version in Tokyo and a really different roller coaster version in Paris and that is it.

The Disneyland Jungle Cruise is close to the same as the Walt Disney World one, but does have a few scenes and surprises that WDW does not, especially since the refurbishment they did a few years back.

I shouldn't even have to mention it but do NOT forget the fantastic Enchanted Tiki Room, and seeing the waiting area for Tiki Room at night is very different from day it is beatifully lit at night and there are real fire torches in front. If you go at night I guarantee you will notice some things you didn't in the day time, but it is best to go both night and day.

Even though it's been screwed over from it's orginal historic version, the Swiss Family... er I mean Tarzan treehouse is kind of cool to do. Just be super super careful going up because they reversed the order of the attraction from the original Swiss Family Treehouse. Originally climbing up was the easy part because you had a wide walk way and it had various landings to rest, and then the climb down was a narrow almost ladder of steps. Now its reversed and for those of us who have a hard time climbing and need to rest it is very hard ( I have athsma and just about fell off because people were pushing from behind when I needed to rest my lungs).

Even if you have rode Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World do yourself a favor and ride it at Disneyland it is far superior: they cut off an entire portion of the ride in Florida; the swamps and the skeleton grotto.

And lastly for tiki related stuff, I am sure you already know about it but check out the Tangaroa Terrace tiki bar over at the Disneyland Hotel. There are some very interesting new tiki themed effects that kick in when special drinks are ordered I am sure you'll love.

Now go have the time of your life in the happiest place on earth. :)

I forgot to mention: Halloween time is a great time to go to Disneyland they have some special things going on such as the Halloween version of Haunted Mansion (Haunted Mansion Holiday: Haunted Mansion mashed up with Nightmare Before Christmas), and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. But be aware that they have a special extra priced ticket to buy for the Mickey's Halloween party, if you don't buy this ticket you don't get to stay in the park as long as other people who do pay for it and they shorten the hours they are open to accommodate for this special event.

Here is the pricing and what you get from it:
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/special-offers/mickeys-halloween-party/

Shrunken Ned RAWKS!!! :lol:

C

Wow tigertail that's a true wealth of information, thank you so much! I guess the nature of what tiki stuff is for sale will vary seasonally but it'll be good to have a look around anyway. We'll be on our way to Australia as we're moving there to live, so may not have much space for extra things, but heck I'll just pay excess baggage for the good stuff!

I'm gonna print your post for the visit as there is so much good info & tips and don't want to miss anything! Might have to give the Swiss Famaily Tarzan mashup a miss, I'm no good on anything climb-y like ladders, we were in WDW Florida a couple of years ago and did Swiss family so I'll live with that memory! The Tiki Room there was terrible - new management indeed! - yet still managed to kick off my tiki passion, along with a visit to the Polynesian Resort. Oh hey, I found a really old photo of me aged about 5 with my mother hugging tikis at the Polynesian Resort, all this time I had a dormant tiki love going on!

I was just reading earlier about the Disneyland Hotel remodel and awesome new bar, we will absolutely make time for that. I'm not so sure about the Halloween party as it doesn't seem to be happening on the 30th, which is a shame as it's cheaper than normal admission! Think we'll just head to the hotel/bar when we get kicked out hehe :drink: - special effects when particular drinks are ordered sounds cool, probably even more impressive than the crazy little bull that runs the bar at Tiki Ti for Blood & Sand haha! Toro!

Glad you found it helpful, but I think you misunderstood me those prices for the Halloween party are IN ADDITION TO normal admission. I know its pretty spendy, but Disney makes good money on these events so they shave off an hour or two of the normal operating hours for the higher paying customers. So it kind of sucks a bit for the average guest during these times, plus the park gets a LOT more crowded as day becomes night. The time you are going is awesome, but also crazy busy and just plain insane because this is the only time year round guests are allowed to dress up (Halloween costumes) and go into the park (part of the aforementioned additional price Halloween party) and also the only time of the year some of the villian costumed performers come out in the park.

If you want I can tell your more about the other non-tiki themed parts of the park, what not to miss etc. I used to publish a theme park fanzine, and also grew up a lot in Disneyland. I can give you some idea of how to maximize your time during this busy season. Adventureland is of course, my favorite land though. :wink:

Make sure you use and understand the fastpass system. Without it you will never accomplish going on a lot of the attractions, especially during holiday season. I can explain it if you don't know but I imagine you do if you have been to Walt Disney World.

I would also check the World of Disney store that is right at the end of Downtown Disney just opposite the tram stop. They have some of the same merchandise that is scattered about the park in different shops there in one location, plus other merchandise that is nowhere else but WOD store.

My other recommendation is to check with Guest Services, tell them what you are looking for and they may be able to find out if there is any Tiki merchandise in the park. Or, if the line at GS is too long, you could just ask the sales staff in the various shops if they have or know of any Tiki merchandise. For the most part, the sales staff tend to be fairly helpful as long as they aren't swamped with customers, my wife and I have had the good fortune of having very helpful staff call around to other shops in the park to check on merchandise availability for us in the past.

Bear

Brudda Bear has some great advice there too! World of Disney is awesome for one stop shopping, but they do sometimes sell out of some items. Any store that does sell out though you can have them call around the park and they can tell you what store they have it available in.

He also jogged a memory I had forgotten about. Disney has a special phone line for merchandise that you can call and ask for specific merchandise by description and ask where it might be located. Contact Disneyland® DelivEARS Merchandise Guest Services at 1-800-362-4533 or send an e-mail: [email protected] you can also order directly through them, or you can arrange shipping through them for anything you buy in the park. Some items they will have a special where you can get free shipping (but I think it is only in the continental United States). They are usually very helpful and know the merchandise well enough that if you describe it good they can figure out what it is and where it is sold.

And I just found the site that lists where the smashed penny machines are and what is available:

http://www.parkpennies.com/disneylandpennychecklists/disneylandchecklist.htm

Oh I forgot there is one more tiki related thing in the park to see: the Finding Nemo submarine ride has some tikis and an underwater erupting volcano. I have not seen it in person yet, but the technology looks pretty cool: they somehow figured out how to make animated cartoon movie projections underwater, so the characters are all exactly as you see them in Finding Nemo, but are against real backgrounds. The underwater volcano looks particularly impressive on video I have seen.:)

Pages: 1 7 replies