Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

drink and food from Sarasota Trader Vics Island Grill

Pages: 1 1 replies

first time visit there today. (okay, all the critiques v. rah-rahisms of the concept in general can be rehashed over at General Tiki's board).

wife had Vic's Island Burger, topped w/grilled pineapple, island slaw, and cho-cho glaze. It was fantastic. sweet potato fries were also great.

I had the Luau Pulled Pork sandwich, in Kona BBQ sauce, also topped w/onion straws and island slaw. Was pretty good, altho the slaw/onions didnt quite go so well w the bbq. had Island spiced fries, which were great, tasted similar to indian samosas or singapore noodles.

ordered a 1944 mai tai, was a pretty good drink tho imo a little too heavy w/the curacao. served in a double rocks glass, they apparently dont have the TV mai tai glasses. one issue though, they apparently add lemon juice to the usual mai tai ingredients there for some reason, fortunately i discovered this beforehand and had mine made without lemon.

kids meals were typical kids meal fare, but did throw in drink and ice cream, all for five bucks.

we'll definitely stop by there again, next time hopefully i wont be the driver and i'll be able to try out a few more drinks.

G

I stopped by here while visiting family. Fish and Chips were okay but not really worth 14 bucks. Everyone else liked their food.

I had a navy grog - it may have used the TV's navy grog mix or something because it wasn't close to my homemade Beachbum Berry Remixed recipe. It was sweeter and much darker - more than from the rum. Not the worst, though.

Next, I tried the Mai Tai which was on special - again, it was pretty dark and had an artifical taste. By the way, both were quite powerful so I don't feel like I have perfect judgement.

The decor was annoying but had some great pieces. It was as if you could make one awesome tiki bar 1/4th its size with all that cool stuff and throw the rest out.

I grabbed a Trader Vic's Moai bowl for $29 out of the case. It is brown on brown with a thick glaze that takes away a lot of the detail. No markings anywhere. The hula/drunk guy bowl was $28 but didn't seem to have the three ladies holding it up. They have the S&P for $10 which is a great deal except I already have a set.

gabbahey

Pages: 1 1 replies