Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Diet Dr. Pepper

Pages: 1 22 replies

So for at least 10 years now their slogan has been "Tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper" and I've been trying to figure out: It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than what? I mean, sure, it tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than water does. It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than a bowl of raw pork juice does. Are they referring to the generic Diet Dr. Skipper soda that Albertson's sells?

What they comparing it to, and exactly are we really supposed to be comparing it to?

Tikifish, you work for an Ad agency ... what are they trying to pull here? Are they thinking the vast majority won't realize that there's a crucial part to that sentence missing?

Okay, I gotta take a break.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-06-04 22:03 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-06-04 22:04 ]

I remember a while back, they had an ad campaign featuring a taste test premise, and based on their taste tests, diet Dr Pepper taste more like regular Dr Pepper than diet Coke & diet Pepsi did to their regular counterparts.

I'd guess "tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper" is just a bit shorter & catchier than "Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper, than diet Pepsi tastes like regular Pepsi."

Or they could just be comparing it to clam juice.....

:tiki:

I'm a Pepper,
Wouldn't YOU like to be a Pepper, too?

You've got it right TP...umm, TraderPup.

Your explanation is what Dr. Pepper is trying to say.

If you've every tried a diet soda and it's regular counterpart in a taste test, you will see that there always is a definite taste difference. The only other sodas that I can recall where its regular & diet sodas come close to tasting the same is A&W Rootbeer and a past client of ours, 7Up, has actually improved it's diet version over the past few years.

A

Why it "tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper" than Dr. Skipper or Real Dr.

Mahalo,
Al

H

Wow! Are those all real? I especially like "Dr. Cheaper."

Poor Mr. Pibb. The only one in his class photo not a Dr.
Guess he couldn't handle the the extra 4 years in Soda Medical School.

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-06-05 00:59 ]

A

Wouldn't you like a Mountain Gulpster, I know I would!!!

Al~
I always meant to ask: Tell me about the Condiment Package Museum on your(?) homepage.

A

Al sometimes sings...

"Wouldn't you like to be a Knepper too?"

When he proposed to me he belted that one out across the mountain tops at Lake Arrowhead. (No not really...)

Be a Knepper, drink Dr. Pepper...

• Shell (Knepper) in the Pacific
A

SCD,
Back on Yahoo, in the profiles section, there was an area where you could list your favorite websites. I had the condiment packet museum up for a while. I think it's brilliant. People keep asking me about it and I feel like a fraud when I tell them it's not my website. I do like to share it though, great website.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-06-05 08:23 ]

R
Rain posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2003 10:31 AM

that "dr. whatever" soda in the bottle on the right - "journey" brand - that's good stuff. they also make a vanilla bean soda and several others. find them at whole foods. drink them. love them.

J
JTD posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2003 11:22 AM

Hanford,
Back when this slogan first came out, Diet Dr. Pepper had just been reformulated. The old Diet Dr. Pepper was just plain NASTY tasting and not remotely akin to real Dr. Pepper. The new formula, not so new anymore, really "Tastes More Like Dr. Pepper" (than that old nasty crap we've been trying to sell you). But obviously, you can't say that parenthetical bit about your product. My theory, though I defer to SugarWaterDaddy since it sounds like he's actually in that line of work.
-JTD

[ Edited by: JTD on 2003-06-05 11:25 ]

Nine out of ten British housewives can't tell Whizzo butter from a dead crab

T

Sounds like JTD has the answer. ALso, even though 'Tastes MORE Like Dr. Pepper' sounds a bit odd to me too, and isn't really logical at first glance, the alternative, 'Tastes Like Dr. Pepper', would be even weirder, don't you think? The 'MORE' version also beats any of these variations that I just whipped off, trying to forensically re-create in my humble think lab, the creative process of the Dr. Pepper copywriter:

'Tastes Very Close to Dr. Pepper.'
'Tastes Remarkably Like Dr. Pepper.'
'Tastes Real Close To Dr. Pepper.'
'I Can't Beleive It's Not Dr. Pepper'.
'Memories of Dr. Pepper'
'A Close Facsimile of Dr. Pepper.'

I notice the collection of 7 up clone sodas are missing the Canadian ripoff versions... Can't remember what they are called though. From Loblaws. Squirt Up? Splash Up? I see a new obsession coming on. Somebody stop me...

I hears Dr. Pepper tastes more Like Diet Dr. Pepper now, So Does Diet Dr. Pepper Just Taste like Itself? The World May Never Know.

I hope the cans don't ever get switched up at the plant, because if all the soda "Tastes More Like Regular Dr. Pepper" How could anyone know which cans were diet and which were regular. But, then again if All the soda "Tastes More LIke Regular Dr. Pepper" would anyone know if the cans were ever switched? Makes you think, Huh?

Mindless Drivel

T

Welcome to my life. I get paid to think about deep thought like that, ahah!

Velour - HAR!

You know what's weird? I've noticed that Coca Cola is trying to distance Mr. Pibb from all the Doc's by changing the name to Pibb Xtra...it's the only Pibb product I've seen in months!

I though Pibb Xtra was different from Mr. Pibb! Is this just another example of remarketing a name to make a product more hip? Kentucky Fried Chicken is KFC, Burger King is BK ... I don't think it would have the desired effect if Taco Bell tried it.

W

I was reminded of this thread by a post in TikiSHOUT! on 9/5/10:

"if the STEAK and CHEESE frozen Burrito says "with Real Cheese" on the label-am i to assume that it's not real steak in there? Nothing about the Steak on the label.... " -little lost tiki-

'Kinda got into Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi....

Pages: 1 22 replies