Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Disappearance of Falernum?

Pages: 1 26 replies

I was at Beverage Warehouse in Culver City stocking up on supplies and asked where the Falernum was. The guys says it isn't being made by that company anymore and he has no other source for it. So is Falernum defunct? I got 1 bottle at home - is it the last bottle on earth or is there another source and if it is defunct with no other source what happens with all those tiki drinks that call for Falernum as an ingredient?

Thanks for providing that link! Problem resolved.

Falernum seems to one of those syrups that a pirate would not want to be without! I need to order some myself, now that the season is uopon us. My Don the Beachcomber Drink book has many drinks that require the Falernum. Below is some additional info.

http://www.drinkboy.com/LiquorCabinet/Syrups/Falernum.html

Cheers,

KT

If anyone knows of a local source in L.A. - as the above info indicates they are going to be distributing soon across the u.s. let me know. I'd rather drive to buy it then deal with mail order, but if there is no other way I will resort to mail order. I still have a whole new bottle of it so I won't actually need to replace mine for awhile.

I was just at Hi-Times Liquor about a 15 minute drive, and there are 7 bottles of Da Vinci Classic Caribbean Falermun Syrup, 750ml bottle for $6.99+tax.

Hi-Times Cellars / Hi-Times Liquor
250 Ogle Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
949-650-8463
Their website: Hi-Times

Hope this helps.

Thanks!!!!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2003 7:05 PM

The DaVinci stuff is available through their website directly.

These guys said they would have their out in March. Maybe soemone can get it ordered in their store.

I haven't checked any of the supplied links yet (I will as soon as I post this) but just wanted to add that I'm having a hell of a time finding some ingredients myself. Of course, I'm in a smaller town in South Carolina, but... Does anyone know of a decent Maraschino Liqueur? I'm gonna have to order a friggin' CASE of Orange Bitters from Fee's Bros. just to have ANY!
Perhaps we should start a thread concerning Availablity and Quality of different brands of some of the Harder-to-Find ingredients, eh? I might do that. Hope everyone will contribute.

M

I'm on the Velvet Falernum mailing list- no word yet on it's arrival.

C

On 2003-06-07 15:21, martiki6 wrote:
I'm on the Velvet Falernum mailing list- no word yet on it's arrival.

We should have this in CT by mid July. I can always send a bottle to anyone who needs it.

V

I just spoke with a fine lady at Fees Bros, as it's time to restock on Orange Bitters and a few other things. Turns out that they now make Falernum (new product).

I'll probably have her throw a bottle into my order, but as all Fees products are non-alcoholic, I'll probably still try to track down the Velvet stuff when it ever comes out...

Aloha,

Vic

http://www.live365.com/stations/brianeh
http://www.vegasvics.com

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2003-07-03 08:05 ]

God I Love Those Fee Bros.! I guess I love the Fee Sister, too. Is that who answers the phone whenever I call 'em? Don't Squeeze... Use Fee's! Okay... Do Squeeze! But Use Fee's, Too!

Aloha,
Another Vic

Here's a little (secret)...KAVA KING (BUSTED!) here on TC has his own private stash of VINTAGE Sazerac Falernum (the authentic, namely alcoholic variety) from the very last production run. I heard upwards of a case of the stuff. This stuff is quite valuable...it, after all is the real, original thing.

S

I had tried to find this on the site, and could not. Tonight I found I had it bookmarked. So here is where you can order Falernum online: DaVinci Falernum The shipping is pretty high, so I tried different quantities to see where it went up and bought the most bottles I could at the base shipping. I think it was 3.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on where to find or other comments on Falernum? I have scoured just about every Liquor store in town (Santa Barbara, CA) and haven't found squat. I have only found one or two places online that even have it, and the shipping costs make it a little cost prohibitive.

I really can't wait to get my hands on some. I am being held back from several recipies in Grog Log and Intoxica becaue of it.

-T.J.

J
JTD posted on Sun, May 2, 2004 6:38 AM

Tonnikan Jinn,
I ended up going to Fee Brothers and bought several items to mitigate the shipping cost. Since it appears you've been doing a lot of field work w/ Grog Log this strategy may work for you too. I got two bottles of Falernum, passion fruit syrup, orgeat, orange bitters, and grenadine. I think the total was $30 including s&h.
Some are irreplaceable, some are good, one only so-so, but now I know for sure and will buy from them again.

JTD

On 2004-05-02 06:38, JTD wrote:
Tonnikan Jinn,

Some are irreplaceable, some are good, one only so-so...

And those would be...?

J
JTD posted on Sun, May 2, 2004 1:06 PM

Atomic,
Sorry about leaving you hangin' like that. Following is my opinion only and may not stand up to a withering cross-examination on bouquet, nose, etc. I just know what I like.
That said, falernum and orange bitters are great additions to the bar and I absolutely cannot find them anywhere else. Fee's orgeat is better than Vic's and equal to Torani (haven't tried Monin, yet). Passion fruit syrup was almost as good as TV's. Fee's grenadine is similar to Angostura brand and better than Rose's, but TV's is the best one I've had.
Fee Brothers also sent along a page of drink recipes with each flavor. The pages were already three-hole punched for easy addition to your recipe binder. Yeah, I don't have one either, but it's a nice touch. One last thing about Fee Brothers products is that the large bottles are 32 oz. Keep that in mind when doing price comparisons as the others are typically 25.4 oz.

JTD

JTD,

Thanks for the info!

AC

On 2003-06-05 10:16, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
I was at Beverage Warehouse in Culver City stocking up on supplies and asked where the Falernum was. The guys says it isn't being made by that company anymore and he has no other source for it. So is Falernum defunct? I got 1 bottle at home - is it the last bottle on earth or is there another source and if it is defunct with no other source what happens with all those tiki drinks that call for Falernum as an ingredient?

I was just at Beverage Warehouse today (Tuesday May 4, 2004) and they have multiple bottles of both Taylor's Velvet Falernum and the Fee Brothers syrup. The Velvet is in the Rum section and the Fee's is with the bitters (in the single malt isle.)

Atomic,

Do you have an address or general area that Beverage Warehouse is located? I'll be down in L.A. on the 15th and doing some shoping.
Thanks!!

-T.J.

H

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/

4935 Mc Connell Ave #21, Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 306-2822

It's tucked back from the street quite a bit, be sure to map it before you head out looking for it, as it feels kind of like it's in the middle of nowhere. Worth the trip, though.

You know... I looked it up on MapQuest and I do believe that I've been there before.... 13 years ago when I worked at Eddie's Diner in Marina Del Ray. If it is the same place, I even bought a "Black Death Vodka" t-shirt from them.
Thanks for the info and the reminder!

-T.J.

You can't miss the intersection of McConnell and Culver Blvd. as there is a Direct TV Broadcasting Facility on the South West Corner.

I just got a reply from Greg at Beverage Warehouse, which is great for a couple reasons. First off... he actually replied. I emailed a few of the online retailers several weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Second... they do have Falernum (both with and without ETOH), Maraschino liqueur, Licor 43, and both proofs of Lemon Hart.
So.... I'm going shopping!!

-T.J.

D

In Southern California Taylor's Velvet Falernum is distributed by Wine Warehouse. It's not something they are too aware of so see if you can get your local Beverage Retailer to ask them for it.

Pages: 1 26 replies