Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaiian-style masks wanted x2

Pages: 1 8 replies

L
Luki posted on Sat, Aug 20, 2011 8:29 PM

Hi,

I'm working on finishing a build-out of a new tiki mug display in our basement (aka the tiki lounge) and I'm having trouble finding any place that sells this style of masks in sizes that I need.

I contacted Tiki Master and they don't have / can't do the sizes I need in the right style.

I just contacted Royal Tiki but haven't heard back.

Seems that most of the places I check have the same old same old masks, most of which appear to be imported from Asia and aren't really in the more detailed, Hawaiian style that I'm trying to find.

The sizes that I need are:
11"
18" - 19"

I have one of each already, and I need another of each.

Here's an example of the general style I'm after, although which particular god, etc., that's represented isn't as important:

Anybody know where I can get a couple more like these at those sizes, or somebody who'll custom-carve them?

Thanks in advance!

Lou

You can usually find that same style on Ebay. That style of mask are sold in Hawaii and you can also get them from the Philipines and Bali. I didn't look to see where you are located but you can get quite a selection at Freaky Boutiki in Mission Beach, San Diego. Also Mainlanders in San Diego as well. I know Freaky Boutiki will ship too.

You can also head over to the Tiki Market Place and Tiki Carving thread as there's alot of great artists on here but they will for sure have a little different style from the more tourist type of mask you are looking at.

Hope this helps a little.
TabooDan

L
Luki posted on Sun, Aug 21, 2011 6:02 AM

Thanks Dan,

I'm in the Chicago 'burbs, so anything tiki is hard to come by here.

I did get those two on eBay, and I keep looking, but they don't come up often (again, most of what's there seem to be the type made in Asia and painted, which I'm not after).

I'll check the other threads as you suggest, mahalo.

Lou

See Smoking Tikis on eBay,Jason is a regular on TC and sells at all the Tiki events here
a good guy!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/smokintikis/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

L
Luki posted on Sun, Aug 21, 2011 12:59 PM

Cool, thanks for the rec. I've seen his stuff on eBay before, but the dimensions were a little too big for what I need. Maybe I'll see if a slightly smaller one could be made. Thanks again!

HOK

Aloha! Those are Tongan style carvings...There is a family on Maui that carves those and also on Oahu, at the Stadium Swapmeet. I might be able to get a phone # or something next Sunday.... Freddie

or plan "B" http://www.tikimaster.com/

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2011-08-21 16:20 ]

L
Luki posted on Sun, Aug 21, 2011 8:39 PM

Freddie, that would be great, thanks!

TikiMaster said they couldn't get that style in the sizes I need.

Thanks again if you can get the number!

(and thanks for correcting me...I thought those were Hawaiian-style...good to know it's a Tongan style!)

Lou

HOK

Hopefully he can hook you up :) Aloha,Freddie

L
Luki posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2011 5:07 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Pages: 1 8 replies