Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

what are the first 5 tiki drinks you ever made (and why)?

Pages: 1 5 replies

first for me (although i had no concept of tiki drinks at the time) was the Mai Tai. this was simply in the course of learning to make well-known cocktails.

as a cocktails enthusiast, I had identified falernum as a rare cocktails component that was seemingly unavailable to me, and I knew it was necessary in order to make a zombie (although, i did not know the zombie history).

When i finally found a store carrying Velvet falernum, i began researching zombie recipes online, and came across this site. doing some searches here, the drinks that sounded the most familiar to me (aside from the mai tai and the zombie) were the Scorpion, the Fogcutter, and the Navy Grog, so those are the tiki drinks I initially tried out.

My first Tiki drink was probably Trader Vic Dark Rum and POG juice while in Hawaii. Simple, but it sure beat the Hell out of most supposed Mai Tais consumed on my honeymoon. My next was a Mai Tai recreation, probably with OJ and dark float added. Fortunately like many of us, I picked up a copy of the first Grog Log and it was off to the races. The Coconaut was easy and delicious.The Scorpion and Fog Cutters were also early faves, since I was familiar with them from the Chicago Vic's. Its Zombie version was a good introduction for more complex recipes.

A

I presume you mean, which are the five tiki drinks I actually followed a recipe for. Back in the days of yore, I'd just throw a variety of fruit juices with a bunch of rum (no measured amounts) into big plastic cups and called it good.

I think the first five were Mai Tai, Blue Hawaiian, Dark & Stormy, Rain Killer and Zombie (not necessarily in order). I'm not saying my first attempts were spot on, just the first ones I attempted to replicate.

E

The very first I tried to make was a Mai Tai, although at the time I had no idea what was in it. I figured it was just rum and pineapple juice. Looking up the recipe, I found it was attributed to Trader Vic, and that's when my eyes were opened to the magical world of Tiki drinks and food.

I didn't know from simple syrup... so I tried to use corn syrup instead. Needless to say, the reviews were not good. But I've become much better at it since then.

The next four I attempted were the Zombie, the Green Parrot (orange juice, rum, blue curacao, bitters), Pina Colada (that counts, right?) and a few experiments using various combinations of rum, passion fruit syrup, pineapple, lime and grenadine. They actually came out pretty good.

For now I stick with the Mai Tai and Zombie as my go-to drinks when I am not feeling adventurous.

Q

Well... They have all been Mai-Tais so far! :)

I just got a copy of remixed last week, I made my Orgeat and sugar syrups and started with the classic. I have begun stocking the bar and will work on the next four shortly.
I like the looks of the Beachcombers punch and I'm sure I'll attempt Falernum for a zombie.

Cheers!

G

I do believe it went something like Derby Daiquiri (simple ingredients), Navy grog (still my favorite), Rainkiller (with gin), Mai Tai and Scorpion Bowl (from BOT).

gabbahey

Pages: 1 5 replies