Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are you smarter because of tiki?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I have been a collector just about my entire life.

Looking back at all the different types of collecting I have done, nothing strikes me as having learned so much about so many different subjects than being involved in collecting tiki.

Not realizing what an impact of learning being involved in “tiki” would have on me 5 short years ago, I can say without a doubt I am much smarter as a result.

I have learned (without much concerted effort on my part) so much more about the following:

Archeology

Geography

Culture

Customs

Art

Literature

History

Interior Decorating

Design

Food and Cocktails

Music

Language

Construction

Improved Social Skills (well, maybe)?

This probably just barely scratches the surface, but I feel as an end result, I am much more educated in the areas listed above than I ever was five years ago, or ever would have been before I became involved in tiki.

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-08-23 13:57 ]

I would like to think so, But then again due to over consumption of Liquor
probably not!

exactly Chuck,
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Good question.

Certainly Tiki helped fuel my "discovery" of Hawaii, and therefore Geography (Hawaiian and South Pacific Islands , Dace (Hula), Cuisine (Puka Dog) and Spirits (Rum tasting at Gaylords on Kaua'i).

It may also have had a decrease in the size of my wallet, what with buying so much Tiki stuff, that now the wife has attempted to relegate to boxes.

So...no?
Well, talking about AMERICAN Tiki culture, your list, PTD, is why I always believe that Tiki is here to stay:

Because what people are and will always be seeking are games worth playing, and with all of its multifacet-ness, Tiki is a great game to play. And it has been proven that the human mind learns best while at play. :)

I think the lack of documentation, coupled with the recent research that has been going on (what are we talking 15 years or so of really getting into the poly-pop movement). There really is much to learn, because it's not just laid out nicely in a neat package. Every once in awhile when I come to this board, it seems like somebody finds an old newspaper ad, or post card or menu from some defunct locale that hasn't been discovered yet. I don't know if smarter is the word, maybe 'more educated'.

[ Edited by: dewey-surf 2011-08-24 16:41 ]

Yes-

By all means, I am referencing American Tiki culture. To date, I am have not been exposed to much more.

I say I am smarter because this is a hobby and I am not being "schooled" in the sense of receiving an education. I think an education involves testing knowledge and applying what has been learned in a practical manner, along with being graded for the effort.

Smarter in the sense I have almost attained the ability to distinguish carving styles of different South Pacific islands. In the sense that when I saw a Tyree velvet for sale for $10.00, I knew who the artist was and that the painting was much more valuable than that. In the sense I know what common mugs are versus the harder-to-find ones. In the sense that I have attained an appreciation for what I have found and what has been shared with me by like-minded aficionados.

Still have along way to go, but am very satisfied with the progress thus far!

PTD

A person who is curious enough to gain knowlege, or skill though a hobby is more interesting than those who do not and enjoys life more. That's good enough for me.

Yes. I also have significantly less money because of tiki too.

On 2011-08-23 11:26, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

No, but i AM better insulated against the threat of scurvy because of tiki.

On 2011-08-23 17:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
So...no?
Well, talking about AMERICAN Tiki culture, your list, PTD, is why I always believe that Tiki is here to stay:

Because what people are and will always be seeking are games worth playing, and with all of its multifacet-ness, Tiki is a great game to play. And it has been proven that the human mind learns best while at play. :)

Ahhh.... Yea, I think I know what you are saying, but while we are playing this game we are not to have fun, because as you have told me before that having fun is just an argument (or something)???

TT

Smarter?..maybe
Dumber?...maybe
Cooler?...YES.

Tiki can be very educational and indoctrination begins at a young age, I think mixology is somewhere on the curriculum here.

Tiny Tiki's Learning Center

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Tiny.Tikis.Learning.Center.973-256-8180/picture/gallery

Pages: 1 12 replies