Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge 8-24-11 Playlist

Pages: 1 0 replies

On this week’s show we took a jubilant and judicious jaunt down The Great White Way, featuring music that originated on Broadway. No, there weren’t any original cast recordings, and you may be surprised that some of the songs actually included originated on musical theater’s main stem.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: August 24, 2011

1. “Oh Lady Be Good” from the collection: Sol Hoopii in Hollywood – His First Recordings 1925. Composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Fred & Adele Astaire Broadway musical: Lady Be Good, featuring Sol Hoopii on Lap Steel Guitar and Vocal.

2. “Somebody Loves Me” the 1936 version by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards With Andy Iona & His Islanders (2:24) From the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand By George Gershwin, Ballard MacDonald & Buddy DeSylva. From the Broadway revue: George White's Scandals of 1924, With Andy Iona on Steel Guitar & Cliff Edwards on Ukulele.

3. “Anything Goes” by David Grisman & Martin Taylor on Guitars from their CD: Tone Poems II, composed by Cole Porter for the 1934 musical: Anything Goes. Acoustic Disc, 1995.

4. “‘S Wonderful” by Fred Astaire from his 1952 LP: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings. Composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1927 Broadway musical, Funny Face (Astaire also starred in the 1957 movie version). Featuring Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass, and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

5. “Night and Day” by Django Reinhardt from the anthology: Cole Porter – A Great American Songwriter. From the 1932 Broadway musical: The Gay Divorcee.

6. “Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea” by The Boswell Sisters from the CD: That’s How Rhythm Was Born. By Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler. From the 1931 revue: “Rythmania at the Cotton Club.”

7. “All I Need Is a Girl” from the 1960 LP: Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley. Taken from the CD: The Art Pepper-Marty Paich Sessions. By Jule Styne & Stephen Sondheim. From the 1959 Broadway musical: Gypsy.

8. “The Gentleman Is a Dope” by Diana Dors from her 1960 LP: Swingin Dors. By Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II from their 1947 Broadway musical: Allegro.

9. “I Love Paris” by Annie Ross from the CD collection: Skylark, featuring Tony Crombie on Piano, originally included in her 1956 recording: Annie by Candlelight. Composed by Cole Porter for his 1953 Broadway musical: Can-Can.

10. “Civilization (Bongo, Bongo, Bongo)” by The Andrews Sisters & Danny Kaye From the 1947 Broadway musical: Angel in the Wings. Taken from the CD Box Set: Music! Music! Music! For the Fun of It – Essential Collection.

11. “Nobody Else But Me” by The Matt Catingub Big Band, featuring Mavis Rivers, from the CD: My Mommy & Me. By Oscar Hammerstein & Jerome Kern, from the 1946 Broadway revival of Showboat.

12. “Speak Low” from the collection: The Best of Esquivel. By Kurt Weill & Ogden Nash, from the 1943 Broadway musical: One Touch of Venus.

13. “The Surrey With the Fringe on Top” by Blossom Dearie, from the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic Oklahoma, on her 1958 LP: Once Upon a Summertime, with Mundell Lowe on Electric Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass; and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

14. “Poor Little Rich Girl” from the 1956 LP: A Jazz Date With Chris Connor. By Noel Coward, from the 1925 revue: On With the Dance. Featuring Joe Wilder on Trumpet; Al Cohn on Tenor Sax Ralph Sharon on Piano, Oscar Pettiford on Bass; Osie Johnson on Drums; and Eddie Costa on Vibes.

15. “Without a Song” the 1946 version by Billy Eckstine from the anthology: Boppin’ With “B.” Composed by Vincent Youmans & Billy Rose for the 1929 Broadway musical: Great Day, featuring Fats Navarro on Trumpet, Gene Ammons on Tenor Sax, and Art Blakey on Drums.

16. “How High the Moon” by June Christy With the Kentones and the Stan Kenton Orchestra from the collection: June Time, recorded when she was 20 years old. Composed by Morgan Lewis & Nancy Hamilton, from the 1940 Broadway revue: Two for the Show.

17. “Bali Ha'i” from the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic: South Pacific, performed by Alfred Apaka With the Hawaiian Village Serenaders from the recording: My Isle of Golden Dreams.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2011-08-24 21:38 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies