Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

What is the best way to mount a full wall "Tiki Mug" Shelf ?

Pages: 1 18 replies

I am trying to make one of those high (close to the ceiling) full wall, Tiki Mug shelves
some of you have have put up in your home Tiki Rooms, I need it to support a bit of weight
and don't want to be posting those "Mug Disaster photo's" anytime soon.

Thanks for any suggestions, you Tiki nuts!

CTiT and a :drink:

TP

on top or from behind works

Chuck,

I did a quick search and came up with a decent site you may find helpful, it features a ton of How-To and DIY tutorials and plans for cabinets, shelving units and all manner of woodworking projects;

Jim Barry's Woodworkers Workshop

A search of the site for "wall unit' turned up a basic tutorial that contains some tips that may prove useful;

How to Build a Recessed Wall Unit

Hope that helps.

Bear

K

let's see a pic of where the shelf is gonna go.

L
Luki posted on Sun, Aug 28, 2011 7:52 PM

What's the shelf like? Did you buy it or make it?

Hi Hi,
I want to make one of those single shelves that is about 14 inches from the ceiling
enough room for most Tiki Mugs, I want to do about a 12 foot section made of wood on one wall
and along the complete wall on another side, trying to figure out the best way to attache to the wall
so it is solid.

I will find a photo so ya all know what I am asking and thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-08-28 21:01 ]

E

CT - I built mug shelves for two walls in my kitchen earlier this year:

Each shelf is a piece of 1"x4" supported by a strip of 3/4" quarter-round, with the support camouflaged by a piece of molding. PM me with your e-mail address if you want more info.

Eric

find the studs in the wall and use strong screws, L brackets hidden up top work too.

my PSA for the month.

S

I did as Ben said and used L brackets on the top of the shelf and used a router to cut a groove so the bracket was flush on the bottom so mugs sat flat. The mugs themselves hid the brackets where they attached to the wall (and I painted them to match the wall) and from underneath you saw nothing. I just got the size piece of wood I needed and a piece of trim for the edge.

I lost my hard drive in the cross country move last month, but here's a photo of the mug shelf in my former Huki Lounge.

I used Ikea brackets and wood boards that I stained. I spaced the brackets so that the negative spaces underneath could be used to display LPs. I routered out Tiki Bob faces in little dowel posts that were placed about every 4' to aid in fishing line support in case of earthquake. The full length of this shelf is about 15', the other side of the room has these shelves too. They were inexpensive and hold a lot of mugs!

Have fun! It's great to get mugs up on display. They can easily be reached for use or closer inspection :D

ebtiki, Yes that's the type of shelf I had in mind
Ben,Swanky & Tikiwahine that sounds like the way to go, Thanks for taking the time to answer
my question!

Have a great day all of you!

CTiT & a :drink:

L
Luki posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2011 12:09 PM

If you don't want to build the shelves, you could buy Lack shelves from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00011013 - $30 for a 75" shelf isn't too bad) but you may still want to add supports.

You can also do the supports underneath and camo them with little tiki guys, plaques or anything else.

That's what I'm doing in the tiki lounge I've started building out in our new place (pix to come soonly-ish)

Chuck, don't forget that the big one is coming and the rest of the U.S. will slide off into the Atlantic. Be sure to incorporate rails and/or earthquake putty.

Roger that Mike, lotsa Super Glue!

Use Museum Wax to hold the mugs. Home Despot, Loews, Michaels?....

Erik The Red

Mr. NoNaMe I got me a big ball of the stuff, the super glue remark was just a joke
But as a home tiki bar suggestion that should be at the top of the list as very important.

Kids, Use Museum Putty to keep your mugs safe, but its O.K. to talk to strangers.

Thanks! now have a :drink:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27144&forum=18

Mark Holt has a continues shelf around the entire room.

I think I hung from it to see if it was strong enough.

Do as I say grasshopper and you will prevail!

( damn. that's 2 psa's in less than 24hrs. I'm

losing it)

Thanks Ben, Marks Lounge is spectacular! those are the kind of shelves I have in mind
I think I will go with the top mounted brackets so you just see the wood shelf from underneath.

Thanks Big Time Ben, I always enjoy seeing your builds too!

You can see the finished shelves as well as a step by step here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=41464&forum=20&start=0

Pages: 1 18 replies