Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Caliente Tropics

Pages: 1 34 replies

R
Rich posted on Sun, Aug 28, 2011 4:57 PM

I hope this is the right place. We have came to the tiki show in San Diego three times. Last time our girls came with us. Now you have 2 new followers. Now my question, Is there any pictures of how the Caliente Tropics Hotel, look now since the main entry fell down.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Corrected Spelling of Caliente. - 2011-08-29 09:25 ]

J

Rich,

A good beginning to any kind of research might include taking the extra one second (well, maybe half second) to make sure that you spelled the name of your research subject correctly.

Comments regarding minor grammar or spelling errors are not worth the criticism, and reflect poorly on those who post about them.

Regarding the subject of this thread, I also would not mind seeing the final version.
Although, in late June, Otto posted this:

J

That's what I always used to think as well, until I finally got completely fed up with the "it's all good" mentality around here.
Seriously, Chris, just as in the case of all the HORRIBLE content on here lately, if no one takes the time to speak up about it, it will simply continue to decline. When you were in school and had to write a report, if in the title of your report you misspelled the subject, do you think it reflected poorly on the teacher to let you know it was misspelled???
There's also an extremely valuable lesson in showing someone how to search for these things on TC themselves, rather than just spoon feed it to them. Especially when there is so much information so easily and readily available.

I agree with Jonpaul on this, things are getting sloppy around here and good things are getting buried under the bad. Rather than do a search for an answer it seems easier to just post a new question. I'm not trying to single out Rich but let's tighten it up folks.

T

I agree that TC needs to get back to the good stuff....Polynesian Pop, Urban Archaeology, and all the more meaningful stuff, lest it turns into Parrothead Central....no thanx.

MT

I'm going to stand up, and back JonPaul, Bora Boris, and Jim on this one. Time to tighten things up just a tad around here. But in a good, positive way. :)

Welcome to Tiki Central, Rich. Glad that you had great experiences at Tiki Oasis, and I hope you enjoy Tiki Central as well. There is a wealth of information here, posted from members who are very knowledgeable about Mid Century Poly Pop! A ton of information is available via the search feature, you would be surprised how much info is crammed onto this forum! Happy hunting, but also don't feel intimidated to ask a question if you can't find your answer! :)

I haven't seen any pictures of the Caliente Tropics restored, although I did see pics somewhere of them installing steel beams as a permanent solution to termite damage.

On 2011-08-29 11:06, Mai Tai wrote:

I haven't seen any pictures of the Caliente Tropics restored, although I did see pics somewhere of them installing steel beams as a permanent solution to termite damage.

I need to post some pictures. It looks great. I go by it all the time. You would never know it went down. By the way, there is some activity - or so it seems - going on in the restaurant.

I heard they're planning to turn the restaurant into the new lobby ...!?

J

The best way to counter-act bad content is to post good content.

For every thread that you see which makes you groan, start 2 new good ones !! :)

In the immortal words of Tiki-era President JFK...

"Ask not what Tiki can do for you, but what you can do for Tiki."

I like that, John-O! That could have been by moi. :D

I'm going to stand up, and back JonPaul, Bora Boris, and Jim on this one. Time to tighten things up just a tad around here. But in a good, positive way. :)

The more appropriate way would be to say "Use the Search button for CalIENte Tropics."

On 2011-08-29 18:09, telescopes wrote:

I need to post some pictures. It looks great. I go by it all the time. You would never know it went down. By the way, there is some activity - or so it seems - going on in the restaurant.

Excellent news!
Looking forward to seeing those photos.

M

OOf, I hope y'all didn't scare Rich away!

No kidding, Mr Smiley, that was rough.
Welcome to Tiki Central, Rich.

Spike,
I may be wrong, or outta line saying this.
But I think Mr. Smiley may have been replying
Sarcasticly, and leaving off any emoticons.

I don't post much about all the "Tiki Stuff"
On TC, because I don't know a lot of the history
Behind it, but this slide towards
Everybody loving party city, and Floriduh
Style Tikis is really sad.
And then when some try to tell them that this is not good tiki,
They get jumped on by the PC police.
Jeff btd

What are you talking about? This guy was just asking about the Caliente Tropics (albeit with poor grammar). It has nothing to do with the degrading of 'pure' tiki culture.

I too want TC to revert back to the time when it was a history course rather than a 'what should I name my tiki bar' forum, but jumping on this guy was a bit harsh.

Maybe a "tiny little Bit Harsh"
but don't you remember Bong jumping on newbies all the time?
I think that without that policing of newbies,
TC has become a more open place for Caribbean, Buffet, and Party City stuff.

I say that harshness keeps away the uninformed posts.
and I miss that part of TC,

Jeff(btd)

I think Christiki dealt with it perfectly appropriately by directing the guy to the posts that he was looking for.
It didn't hurt anybody and eventually this thread would have sunk to the bottom of the list and gone away.

J

Go back and look at my initial post.
I would hardly consider it "harsh."
If you were taking the time to inquire about something, wouldn't you make sure the subject was spelled correctly?
Does anyone disagree? I never once even touched upon the bad grammar or said anything derogatory towards Rich.
What may have caused controversy was the reaction to christiki's holier-than-thou "Comments regarding minor grammar or spelling errors are not worth the criticism, and reflect poorly on those who post about them."
His comment became a symbol of all the "bite your lip" and "it's all good" mentality around here.
That's what I was reacting to.
Obviously, I'm not the only one who feels this way, as it triggered a reaction in others as well.

T

On 2011-08-30 15:03, bigtikidude wrote:
Maybe a "tiny little Bit Harsh"
but don't you remember Bong jumping on newbies all the time?

Jeff(btd)

Look where THAT got him... :)

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2011-08-30 16:09 ]

I'd rather be right and banned,
than an ass kisser, and still on the board.

Viva el Bong.

Jeff(btd)

MT

On 2011-08-30 07:56, christiki295 wrote:

The more appropriate way would be to say "Use the Search button for CalIENte Tropics."

Uh, I did say that. Right here:

Welcome to Tiki Central, Rich. Glad that you had great experiences at Tiki Oasis, and I hope you enjoy Tiki Central as well. There is a wealth of information here, posted from members who are very knowledgeable about Mid Century Poly Pop! A ton of information is available via the search feature, you would be surprised how much info is crammed onto this forum! Happy hunting, but also don't feel intimidated to ask a question if you can't find your answer! :)

I even followed it up with the obligatory laugh track of internet communication and diffuser of awkward internet discourse situations, the :)
And look, there it is again :right: :)

On 2011-08-30 08:13, mrsmiley :) wrote:
OOf, I hope y'all didn't scare Rich away!

And I don't think that MrSmiley was trying to be sarcastic, I think he was being sincere in not wanting a new person to feel unwelcomed. And he has an emoticon built right into his member handle, to help diffuse awkward internet discourse situations!

On 2011-08-30 19:26, bigtikidude wrote:
I'd rather be right and banned,
than an ass kisser, and still on the board.

Jeff, don't make me post that certain "awkward" photo of you! :) :left: LOOK! There it is AGAIN! :right: :) That diffuser of awkward internet discourse!!!

What's all this "New Person" crap? :roll:

Rich has been a member since 2008 so do the math Archimedes, that's 3 years! That's long enough to not be new but Poor Newbie Rich is just an unfortunate victim of time and place, the time is now, the place is Tiki Central and the members and not just the ones posting want a little more concentration and a little more quality Tiki, nothing wrong with that. It's about the big picture not just this one post. This post reminds me a lot of this classic which was misinterpreted as being mean for the sake of being mean but it also touched upon the same problems of taking the time to find the appropriate already existing topic. Seems like August is when this happens, weird!

Tough Love Baby, Get Some!!

Boris,
why do you always have to be such a dick?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Love will keep us together? I agree with Jonpaul ... lerm to spel allredie!! Jebus

T

Man, this thread is so hot, it should be titled 'Caliente Topics'!

Maybe he was driving when he posted...

R
Rich posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2011 3:30 PM

Thanks, for all of the great information.
Rich

Sorry Rich, this place is getting pretty lame lately. All this drama over a typo. I'm going to the nut farm where its fun!

This thread should be locked.

Why should this thread be locked? The guy asked a valid question about "urban archaeology", and everyone bashed him for the typo. How hard would it be to say, "you misspelled it bro?". Ohana? WTF! I too am curious how it looks now. The last pictures I saw were from June, which was a while back, and the place still had a construction fence in place. And look, Mai Tai says he has some pics too upload, so the question got a response. Party City??? Yah, we gotta police that crap, or else before you know it, you'll start seeing it at tiki events: Corona Cerveza Mic, plastic sombrero's from Taiwan, fake mustaches, polyester serape's, the works!!!! Whats next, Soul Tiki? We can all go black face and sing "Mame!"

P.S. I took the extra minute and made sure I spelled sombrero and serape right. Viva el BONG!

On 2011-09-03 17:17, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Why should this thread be locked?

Much ado about nothing.
How many threads are required about 2 letters?

T

Pages: 1 34 replies