Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Found a Mai Kai Derby Daiquiri Glass

Pages: 1 5 replies

Since they seem to be pretty rare, I am wondering if the tiki community can give me an idea of what it is worth. It is going to go up for sale soon and I want to get a good, fair price. Thanks tikiphiles!!

J

jenkevcharleston,

With all due respect, Tiki Central is not an appraisal service.

Especially for someone such as yourself, who is clearly out to simply re-sell something that is considered extremely historic, important and, some might even say, sacred to some of us.

If you were sharing the find because you were excited about it or actually wanted to know more about it's background, significance, etc., fine. But, c'mon. It is just not cool to waltz in here and blatantly display the dollar signs in your eyes.

This is one of the big problems associated with the obvious decline in quality content on Tiki Central these days....
Far too many "How much is this worth?" "Is this Tiki?" "How could I get the most for this?" types of questioning.

It is a blatant insult to those that take this culture seriously to so overtly express that you have no other interest in it than a monetary one.

Perhaps you could've at least approached the question with the slightest hint of curiosity about it's provenance?
Maybe the tiniest indication of even faking a depth of interest other than your greed?

Leave us alone and go back to counting your money.

Well, shame on me. I did not ask about the history because my husband's grandmother worked at the Mai Kai for 25 years, including the time period when the Derby Daiquiri was famous. So I am well aware of the history of the glass. The reason I am selling it is not out of pure greed, but frankly, was simply not your business. But to satisfy you, it is because we have had to put Grandma in long term care and have no choice but to sell off her estate to pay for her care. I found this forum and thought that the Tiki community might be excited by the find. My sincere apologies for offending your delicate feelings. Trust me, I won't bother to try to sell the item on this site. Nor will I list any of the other very interesting Mai Kai memorabilia that I found in going through the estate.

J

This is my point, exactly!!!!!
Rather than having your first post be about the worth of something, take a second to introduce yourself and explain your connection!
The greatest Mai-Kai researchers in the entire world (literally) are active members of this forum and would be positively thrilled to know about you and your family's story!

S

You can get a general idea of value and the going rate HERE for many ceramic and glass items associated with vintage places and current artists.

I sold one of my Derby glasses a bit ago. I keep getting them one way or another. The Mai-Kai sourced these using the same company that Don the Beachcombers used in the 1940s. And in fact, most all polynesian restaurants got their glassware from 1 of 2 companies.

Can't help you with the worth of the glass simply because it is worth more than I can afford to offer.

As to the other half of the conversation.... two things:

First, give Grandma a big kiss from me. I know it is tough on everyone with the transition to assisted care. You can have a big kiss too if it helps.

Then, she used to work at the Mai Kai? If I sent you a PM with some personal contact information could you pass it along to grandma? I would love the opportunity to get some of her stories down on paper. Or recorded in her own voice would be even better, but I don't think I am close enough to do that part.

Pages: 1 5 replies