Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Hidden Tiki in Palm Springs Map

Pages: 1 0 replies

For your amusement...

Okay, so here's the backstory... when I was in Jr. High School, LONG before my interest in "tiki", I had an art teacher in Palm Springs who later became a mentor, Fred Crump Jr., who once told me that the one area of Palm Springs map you could see from the air had hidden images in it... specifically a Cahuilla Indian princess meeting a "Hawaiian TIKI design" - he said it was because a legend from the Indians there that ancient travellers came from far and wide to obtain their spring water or thought it contained healing properties, something like that....

He said you could also see them from the top of the Mt San Jacinto when you took the tram.

This story sat in the recesses of my mind, it was LONG before Google or internet when he told me this. So today I decided to take a peek around the Palm Springs Google Map and low and behold, something was peeking out at me...can you see it?

{The marker is the old address of Don the Beachcomber)

I was mucking around and tracing over this in Photoshop. I'd like to see if anyone else had heard about this, or what you see there. There's a good chance that the original "layout" has been mucked up and built over.

Can't find any notes about this online, and sadly, Mr. Crump passed away. :( It's my guess that someone local in the Cahuilla tribe told him this story.

Here's the view reversed too...

Have fun! if you do any tracing, post it here!

Pages: 1 0 replies