Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Refrigerate commercial syrups?

Pages: 1 10 replies

S
SeanH posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2011 8:26 AM

Do you guys refrigerate commercial syrups (orgeat, store bought sugar syrup, etc.)? I never have, on the theory that I never refrigerate [imitation] maple syrup, honey, etc. But this article I just read says that syrups have to be refrigerated... I haven't died yet from not refrigerating them, but I'm curious what folks here do.

Yes. I keep all my syrups (Orgeat, Simple Syrup, Cinnamon-Infused Sugar Syrup, Honey Mix and Maple Syrup) in the refrigerator . . .always have. For the Simple syrup (made with natural sugar) and the Cinnamon-Infused Sugar Syrup (made the same way) I add about 1/4 oz of Wray & Nephew Overproof rum to retard any bacterial formations.

I refrigerate if the label on the bottle says to do so.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-09-08 09:59 ]

S
SeanH posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2011 10:00 AM

Yeah, I've checked the labels of all of mine and none say to refrigerate, but now I'm kind of paranoid…

I always add an ounce of vodka to my homemade syrups and throw them in the refrigerator; they last for ever. I read somewhere that a 2:1 simple syrup does not need refrigerating. I take 2:1 SS camping. The wifey does get a bit miffed when I hog the whole refrigerator when I'm in full tiki cocktail swing (two kinds of SS, ginger, cinnamon, Don's, passion fruit, raspberry, vanilla, gomme, orgeat). A walk in would be nice.

PS: why does fridge have a "D" but refrigerator doesn't?

T

On 2011-09-09 09:49, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

fridge
shortened and altered form of refrigerator, 1926, perhaps infl. by Frigidaire (1919), a popular early brand name of the appliances.

Dictionary.com, "fridge," in Online Etymology Dictionary. Source location: Douglas Harper, Historian. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fridge.

because "D" is for "Defense"

On 2011-09-09 11:57, thePorpoise wrote:

because "D" is for "Defense"

LOL! "I didn't come here lookin' for trouble,I just came here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle"

we prolly oughta keep things pertinent to the forum:

On 2011-09-09 14:32, thePorpoise wrote:
we prolly oughta keep things pertinent to the forum:

Good one! Took me a second.

I always wondered why it was called a "RE"frigerator when so many of its contents are frigerated only once and for the first time. Do we need to get a separate ice box for all the stuff that has never been frigerated before?

Pages: 1 10 replies