Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

should I spar a piece of cedar if it's going to be left outside?

Pages: 1 4 replies

P

Most of the cedar stuff I've done was stuff I planned to have inside, so thus far this hasn't been an issue.

I'm so used to palm, I have no ides what to expect from a piece of cedar left outdoors.

I have been going the hand-rubber poly route with all of them (at Aloha Station's suggestion - which has worked PERFECTLY by the way) but I don't know if this is enough to protect them outdoors.

Any thoughts?

P

anyone?

Bueller?

Cedar can be rot resistant and bug resistant, but it is wood and all wood rots eventually. You may have seen cedar patio furniture, and up north here people have cedar shingle roofs. I'd say if you want to be sure that it lasts the longest and keeps bugs away, coat it however you would another piece. Or experiment and leave it natural.

The issue with the Poly is that it does not soak into the wood. Moisture and sun will cause the wood to swell and shrink, resulting in the poly peeling/flaking off over time. I'd say leave the cedar bare and let it "age". The poly will help keep the color of the wood but I doubt it will help preserve it. Wood rots!

P

au naturale it is!

thanks for the input guys.

Pages: 1 4 replies