Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shag decanters - overpriced?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I've been noticing that the Shag decanters still appear to be pretty widely available new and unused from retailers at retail price. I've even seen them for below retail in a couple of places. The 2nd edition mugs sold out in minutes, but there appears to be little , if any 'interest' being made with the new decanters. Is this a case of killing the goose which laid the golden eggs?

I must stress I'm not making any complaint about Tiki Farm. Holden's the coolest, and everything else they make is rockin' good value. It's just at $150 a pop for those decanters......

Trader Woody

Funny, I saw that as a sort of collector's recycling. Funny how one object, passed around enough times, can generate a lot of money.

It does seem strange though... I swear I saw a decanter on ebay at a $150 BUT IT NOW price.

H

Pricing is a very tricky business, particularly when you're introducing something not currently represented in the marketplace. You have to make it up as you go along, to a certain extent (using educated guesses, mind you). From that perspective, it shouldn't be surprising that the market doesn't always respond in a particular pattern.

From a personal perspective, whatever price I was willing to pay for an item when I purchased it was worth it to me at that moment. Why should my perceived value of the item change because of how others are valuing it (aside from purchase for reason of reselling/investment)?

S

On 2003-06-06 16:56, Humuhumu wrote:
Why should my perceived value of the item change because of how others are valuing it (aside from purchase for reason of reselling/investment)?

Because that's the American way, and as Gorden Gekko said, "Greed is good?"
JJ.I agree with ya totally.

T

Again, no offense to Tiki Farm, but I think the set started out at too high a price. I bought my set to keep and not use and is currently sitting up in my closet. However, it seems that the sets were selling higher then what they were purchased for until Shag's website started selling them. Then they dropped in price and hardly sell.

I guess it's a good thing everyone bought them because we like them and not for a resale value?? My kids will be very lucky when they receive my unused set in the years to come. haa,haa

Anyone (local) want to trade a couple of SHAG decanter sets for a web site? I actually need a web-store.The masses are breathing down my neck and want me to get the web thing up and running. E-mail [email protected]
I have a green set and a purple set, in the boxes, never used, waiting for a better home.

Pages: 1 5 replies