Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bonnie "Prince" Billy goes tiki!

Pages: 1 13 replies

[ Edited by: Fiji Mermaid 2011-09-16 12:03 ]

T

Cool song, but where's the tiki?

[ Edited by: Fiji Mermaid 2011-09-16 12:04 ]

On 2011-09-16 08:20, Fiji Mermaid wrote:
but because there are no [tikis] it's not tiki?

Exactly!

And you'd think it be obvious...
Buzzy Out!

J

Hmmmmm...this brings up a very interesting question that has never been discussed here before.
What makes something "Tiki?"

(Sound of stones being pelted at my head)

On 2011-09-16 08:20, Fiji Mermaid wrote:
??? Islands, tiki hut, coconuts, grass skirts, etc, etc, but because there are no totems it's not tiki?

There are 5 million reasons why this is not tiki. I would go further and say even if this cat had put an actual tiki in the video, it would still not be tiki.

From wikipedia:

"Oldham is known for his "do-it-yourself punk aesthetic and blunt honesty,"[1] and his music has been likened to Americana, folk, roots, country, punk, and indie rock. He has been called an "Appalachian post-punk solipsist",[1] with a voice that has been described as "a fragile sort-of warble frittering around haunted melodies in the American folk or country tradition."[1]"

This website, Tiki central, focuses on poly-pop, the realm of midcentury swinging bachelor pad/cocktail lounge culture, not "appalachian post punk".

I wish I'd have sen the vid. Based on what I've seen of Billy Oldham on YouTube, he is about as far from Tiki as you can get. Anybody got a link or can steer me to this example of an attempt at Tiki Usurpation?

Bear

Google "quail and Dumplings" if you're interested. I had the geek hammer come down on me hard, so I took it down and am trying to get the moderator to remove the entire thread. No, the music is not exotica, it is Will Oldham. But the setting is a castaway scene. Excuse me for living in the present. I guess Smuggler's Cove is out of the question, or anything that exists post 1975.

Fiji Mermaid, ( one of my alltime favorite things by the way) to AVOID a TC faux pas please feel free do explore the threads, there are ENDLESS discussions about what is and is not tiki, resaerching may help you get a grasp of the correct vibe, and either you will get it or not. its not super complicated.

MT

On 2011-09-16 09:55, JONPAUL wrote:
Hmmmmm...this brings up a very interesting question that has never been discussed here before.
What makes something "Tiki?"

(Sound of stones being pelted at my head)

:lol:

V

I love Bonnie Prince Billy. One of the best current songwriter.

And that new song (and video) are really great (it's "Quail and Dumplings" I guess). I had not seen it yet, so thank you.

V

Oh, and I'd say the video is more inspired by Robinson Crusoe and all the great novels of the kind than by tiki culture, but it's still very cool. (and not a Tiki usurpation at all).

[ Edited by: virani 2011-09-17 09:07 ]

can someone post a link please? Im curious

O.K. here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI1o1zL3jao

Just my Opinion here: But more whining,droning crap that has overtaken this generations
music, it actually sucks the energy out of you & a perfect example of what is wrong with music today.

The lyrics have nothing to do with the video (which is poorly conceived & executed)
and not Tiki, so there, just an opinion & nothing more.

Pages: 1 13 replies