Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

BBQ chef Louis Spievak featuring Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 22 replies

O

This cookbook was written by Los Angeles chef Louis Spievak in 1950. This revised edition is from 1954. He featured some of Don Beachcombers' food and drink recipes that I'll share in the food & Drink forum. The book has great photos of the late fifties Tiki scene in Los Angeles including Don Beachcomber's home luau. (Edited for misspelled name)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2011-09-21 14:16 ]

T

Outstanding find, Ojaitimo! Really appreciate you sharing, and look forward to seeing more of this in the Food and Drink forums.

I noticed this was one of the sources cited in the Bum's reconstruction of the Zombie, and it's a prominent player in his story of the Zombie in Sippin' Safari on pages 115 to 124. The Louis Spievak recipe from your book also appears on page 116 of Sippin' Safari and page 170 of Remixed. But it's great to see the recipe in its original setting, so don't hold back!

-Tom

Wow! Nice score. What a great book.

Aloha,

Quite wonderful. Thanks!

J

Psssssst.....Tim......It's "Spievak" (says so right on the cover).
Don't believe me? Well then, just ask Sven Keersten.

RB

I detected this was one of the sources cited in the Bum's recollection of the Highball, and it's a conspicuous contestant in his story of the Deceased in Sippin' Expedition on pages 115 to 124. The Prizefighter Spievak direction from your fact also appears on diplomat 116 of Sippin' Expedition and attendant 170 of Remixed. But it's zealous to see the instruction in its original background, so don't consider corroborate!

Toyota Power Steering Gear Box

WTF???

H

On 2011-09-21 06:19, Rum Balls wrote:

I detected this was one of the sources cited in the Bum's recollection of the Highball, and it's a conspicuous contestant in his story of the Deceased in Sippin' Expedition on pages 115 to 124. The Prizefighter Spievak direction from your fact also appears on diplomat 116 of Sippin' Expedition and attendant 170 of Remixed. But it's zealous to see the instruction in its original background, so don't consider corroborate!

Toyota Power Steering Gear Box

WTF???

This was from a spammer. There was a spam link after the text but I went ahead and removed the entire post.

O

Spievak, I sit corrected Jon Paul. Didn't know he was a prize fighter either.

Awesome! I love old tiki-related cookbooks... I just ordered one on Amazon, and hey look, there is one left: http://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-chef-Louis-Spievak/dp/B0007FCNIU

On 2011-09-21 04:28, JONPAUL wrote:
Psssssst.....Tim......It's "Spievak" (says so right on the cover).
Don't believe me? Well then, just ask Sven Keersten.

How Rude of you.
:wink:
:roll:

That's a nice find!

Anyone have the first edition? I can't find the 1954 edition on amazon.

gabbahey

[ Edited by: gabbahey 2011-09-23 12:14 ]

On 2011-09-18 02:09, Ojaitimo wrote:
This cookbook was written by Los Angeles chef Louis Spievak in 1950. This revised edition is from 1954. He featured some of Don Beachcombers' food and drink recipes that I'll share in the food & Drink forum. The book has great photos of the late fifties Tiki scene in Los Angeles including Don Beachcomber's home luau. (Edited for misspelled name)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2011-09-21 14:16 ]

Bump....

I didn't see the recipes in Food and drink.....did I miss the post??

howlinowl

O

The recipes aren't posted yet. I have to photograph more of the book and I will soon.. In the meantime get Taboo Table. That has some of the food and drink recipes from Barbeque Chef.

My copy has a blue plastic spine . . . the tabs are bit worse for wear, but it is still a nice recipe book, and the illustrated cocktail section is a nice surprise!

S

Louis Spievak was my grandfather, and the photos in the cookbook include my grandmother, my aunts and my dad as a young teen. Pretty amazing book, especially cool mix of "hip" and traditional for its time. We still have a few copies. Among other things, Louis Spievak (or "Red" as he was known by absolutely everyone) was a competitive couples figure skater and ice dancer and drove nothing but big Cadillacs. He also "invented" everything from BBQ's to flying cars and automatic typewriters. Quite a guy!

Wow, a true Renaissance man, then! it is always good to hear from relatives of the historic personalities discovered here, thank you for posting.

I was looking for a photo of him in Google, but could not find one, but I found a partial list of his inventions:

http://www.boliven.com/patents/search?q=inventor:(%22SPIEVAK+LOUIS+A%22)

Flying car inventors are on the top of my personal faves list! :)

O

Too cool! Is this one of his flying cars?

I have one of the 1950 books.

On 2015-11-14 11:58, Buckarooblues wrote:
I have one of the 1950 books.

Yes? So are you going to post any scans from the book?

T

It may be in your Library.
Are you in La?

Los Angeles Public Library
Los Angeles, CA 90071 United States
http://www.worldcat.org/title/barbecue-chef-manual-of-barbecue-parties-recipes-equipment/oclc/7964753

bump

bump

Pages: 1 22 replies