Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

pics of da Gecko wit da king of exotica Mr M. Denny

Pages: 1 29 replies

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 2:52 AM

Aloha Kanes and Wahines,

I was treated tonight with a private piano session by Mr.Martin Denny playing his lovely tunes. We sat around and talked story for a couple of hours along with his daughter.

He's truly down to earth and a character! The main reason I was there is he wanted a tiki for his birthday that just pass but didn't get one. So that's when I got the call.

I told him I won't be able to start his 5 footer till I get back from da mainland. "No worries"

Here are jus some of da pics I took. It was special so I'll have to save some for my personal photo album.

this is of me and Mr D. in front of my carving that I will be bringing to "Da Show" I said earlier that I would sell it for a certain amount but I might put it up for auction at "da show" ....don't know yet. I'll include this pic with the tiki for the new owner. If I see Mr.Denny befor I leave I'll try to get him to sign da pic other wise I'll just sign it myself.

here he's teaching me how its done. when da man speaks, you better listen!

this was special. He played me a few songs.

some of his exotic musical toys

da wahine enjoyed da show to

his gold record

carving some tunes from da mans piano

he didn't want to sign my album because he loves this cover! he said it would destroy it!! I said....."destroy it!!!!"

here's his beautiful view of da coean and Koko crater to da left

I had a great time tonight. I can't wait to see him again with his new gecko tiki! hope da ohana here enjoys da pics. they are for your viewing plessure. see you braddahs in a week!

aloha

ps
speaking of Mr Denny, I had someting botherin me...I can't remeber if I sed mahaloz for a DVD i got in da mail from braddah Ron & sista Mickee of da Hawaiian Eye show. If not so sorry, and Mahaloz to you two for taking da time to do dat!!

I loved it and always looking for new episodes of this! that was great!

shoots

TC

Wow! That's too cool, Gecko! Next time you see him, please let him know that there are folks all over this world (like me in London) who listen to his music on a VERY regular basis (like several times a week).

Thanks for sharing the excellent pics.

Take care,
Tiki Chris

S
Sabina posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 3:06 AM

Gecko-

Those are so special! Thanks so much for sharing these pictures with us. It must have been one incredible evening!

For me at least, this is part of what it's all about- listening to the 'elders' and preserving the stories, passing along the of the 'tribal wisdom', and just having fun.

His music has meant so much to so many of us. It's really neat to see you two together-just makes sense, in a way.

Can't wait to see you in Florida!

TC

On 2003-06-07 03:06, Sabina wrote:

It's really neat to see you two together-just makes sense, in a way.

YEAH. totally old school meets new school. great to see there's mutual respect from both sides.

That's almost just too damned much for me to fathom...a personal audience with Da Man. I've had his records since I was a teenager in the 80's. That's not just a visit, that's an accomplishment, Geck. It looked like his fromed copy of Quiet Village over the gold one is a bit faded....I'd love to give him a new one. I have a couple of almost mint copies here. I'll bring one to Hukilau, if you could pass it on.

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 1:18 PM

yes thie truly was an accomplishment. I'm still trippin' from jus being asked to go to his house!! It hasen't sunk it yet.....this is wat it must feel like when you win da super bowl.

Dont worry Tiki Chris, I told him about all the exotic music lovers aroud the world are enjoying his music right now. He's very happy to be alive He said just to see it come back around because a lot of his old friends and band members have since passed away already. He is getting a BIG kick out of seeing the culture come back around. I hope live as long as he does to see it come back around again.

"tribal Wisdom" Sabina was in the air last night! He asked me if I was in a rush or had the time to listen to about 10% of what he had in that brain. I sed "YES SIR PREACH". He loves to talk and show his great vintage pictures. He had about another 20 OOOOOLD photo albums we didn't have time to look at. He said when I bring his tiki we gon talk mo story.

He's got signed pics from R. Kennedy, and all kinds of things. Just a remarkable man full of tiki culture treasures.

BK, that album hangs in his bedroom. He has the silver one to exotica on da other wall. I'll pass it on about da newer album. He loved my bamboo frame i maid so maybe if you give me that album I'll put it in a bamboo frame for him. what extras of his albums do you have?

He gave me a copy of his new CD called "the Intamate Martin Denny" it has the song he wrote for his wife called "I'll Love You Forever & Ever" it also has a lot of his classic hits. I don't think it's out in store yet? dont know?

anyways I can't wait to get started on his tiki because that means I get to go back and see some more great vintage pics and listen to him for hours and hours.

Mr. Denny turned Waikiki into the pardise that it was and still somewhat is with his hands on that piano. I would like to turn Waikiki back to those days too with my hands on my chizle and hammer. That is why I believe I'm here. I want to bring exotica back to this exotic island for our friends on the mainland to feel the old Hawaii.

Aloha

You, sir, are a knight of tiki, Gecko. Aloha indeed.

That was great Gecko! I think you were so excited and anxious to tell us about the experience, that you forgot your pidgin back at Martin Denny's place!

Haha! No worries braddah Gecko!

Unbelievable Gecko! Thanks for sharing!

E

This is beautiful Gecko. This like an entire heavenly experience on one little webpage. Thanks for sharing man, and I've gotta say you are already doing your BIG part to make exotica live! Hawaii rulez, you rule, good luck!

aloha,
emspace.

refering to another post.....

Now, your experience w/ Mr.D is truly "cool"!

Mahalo for sharing.

I know I have two or three of Quiet Village, probably a couple of Exotica, and a couple of Forbidden Island...If he could use a copy of any they're his, no hesitation. I bet I have a dozen of his records in all. Man, it's such an honor to have one of the founding fathers of the scene we all enjoy wanting one of your tikis. I remember his interview in the Re-Search book Incredibly Strange Music...he always seemed like such a genuine, gracious guy. Hell, I'd GIVE him one of my pieces just to say he owns one!

This is one of the coolest things I've seen on TC in a long time. I have a certain respect for musicians from the fifties because it was such a different time, culturally. It's cool that you got to meet him and hear some stories, Gecko. Congrats.

G, what can I say. Game recognizes game!

That is some real content for this message board. Something worth reading and thinking about. Absolutely awesome.

All the birds sing words and the flowers croon, in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. (Disneyland)

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-06-08 00:56 ]

F

This is wonderful, Gecko. I got tears in my eyes reading this! I am so psyched that one of our people got the honor of meeting with Mr. Denny. I don't suppose that he goes online much? It would be great if he could see our forum; I wish he had a hotmail account or something where we could write him.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2003 3:50 AM

Aloha friends,
I'm glad you guys enjoyed my pics. I would have felt bad to keep those to myself ya. I know how almost everyone here loves exotic music and the king of exotica Mr. Denny so I had to share wit my peeps who appriciate!!

There's lots more he want's to share with me so, there could be more later to see. I can't wait till we get to his old Don da Beach photo album. He showed me a great photo of him and Mr. Lyman great photos to die for!!

howzit Floratina,
I don't even remember seeing a computer in his condo? nothing in da bedroom, kitchen, or living room. His fingers get stiff now so he probubly wouldn't be able to type anyway. But he know's we our out here enjoying his music.

Mahaolz Emspace for your kind words!!

SCD,
eh what'evas already, i wen hold back da pidgin fo da braddahz who cannot unda stand da loco kine talk ya. but eh, i still get'um. so mo betta li'dis? eh next time try wait braddah. smile!
shootz!

BK, bring your extra copies and I'll make some frames. If he don't take um you know I gon keep um ya.....I bet he'll like dat suffering bastard mug you jus found too! why don't you give me dat and I'll make sure he gets um....hehe

Aloha Inkylouise, I love you New Yorkers! you guys are fun. I'm glad you enjoyed da pics.

Like i wen sed, I will try to give you guys what your hungry for and keep you comming back to this awesome forum of tiki info.

aloha

Lizard-

You be having Lobster! Not necessarily eating it but enjoying the wonderful taste! Out of a lot of Top Ramen, that small bit of Lobster will stay with you forever. You catch my drift now?

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2003 12:53 PM

AMEN Revran!! I will have that taste in my mouth for a very long time. I'm honored that he wants one of my tikis. Makes me know I must be doin somethin right ya.

Mahaloz Boobam

B

Amazing! Those photos are a bit surreal. It's not like meeting someone after a show while they sign your ticket...YOU'RE IN HIS LIVING ROOM! There was genuine respect between two artists. Congratulations.

ya

Gecko-

Wow! I don't know what I can add to the post that hasn't already been voiced. I could sit here & type a thesaurus full of superlatives, but that would probably fall pitifully short of the mark. That was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience that most people will never, ever get. It's even better than the 15 minutes of fame Warhol envisioned. It was 15 minutes of sharing the tiki spirit. Art in all its forms transcends boundaries of time, age, and space, but to be able to meet on all those planes with a master like Martin Denny...it had to be a near-religious experience.

I'll go to my grave (a) envying you for the experience, and (b) hoping you have another one.

Mahalo to all,
TikiMikey

All that was said before is true, yeah. Gecko, you are very fortunate and we are fortunate to have your posts.
I hope Mr. Denny's photos, personal recordings and instruments can be kept together preserved in some way when he's gone.
Mahalo.
KG

MC

wow, that's the coolest. especially after seeing your videotape of Mr. Denny's birthday performance. Did he share with you his secret of a long-life? i hope so because I want you to be making your tikis at least as long as he has been making beautiful music.

Awesome Gecko......you deserve all the "Aloha" that comes your way. Very inspirational.

Peace Bro',

Killer Tiki you have there as well in the pics.....You rock.

T.F.

DAMN!!, da island bruddah meets da big man-o-cool tunes!. you sure you hawaiian native bra?, you lookem like de stunt double from "once were warriors"!!!!!!!! read new zealander.I cant wait to let you fire a "hawaiian punch" into my shoulder for all this sh-t I give you!.really dig the carving...DAMN!.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Jun 22, 2003 3:06 PM

Aloha,

Just wanted to thank Jungle Trader (Vic) for his purchase on this Martin Denny tiki. I know you'll enjoy him for a long time braddah.

Mahaloz Plenty Brah!!!
Gek

Where you at, Geck?

I have no words.....this is just too much......G you are one man that is blessed.

GECKO,

Man it has been a while since I hit the TC. This was one of the greatest things I have seen of Mr. Denny since I heard Marty and Elaine's rendition at the Dresden, or just hearing it on CD at the Hair Hut while sipping on Mai Tai ala TV mix. Thank You so much!!!!!! I have gained a higher level of respect for you. I would like to know:

What selections did Mr. D play for you and the wahine?

What was the beverage of choice?

How does one end an experience like that?
( I don't think my wiring could handle an experience like that, I almost had a heart attack at the Dresden when I heard QV)

Thank You So Much!!

Respectfully,

OB

p.s. what is the quickest way to get a MD tiki?

Pages: 1 29 replies