Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist 2nd Anniversary: Dedicated to Elinor

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 28, 2011

On this week’s show we celebrated the second anniversary of Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge on Radio Fairfax with a show dedicated to the Doctor’s canonical wife, the beauteous and talented Elinor, who is responsible for clueing me in to the possibility of broadcasting on this station in 2009 when she saw an ad in a local newspaper for radio DJ and training opportunities at Fairfax Public Access in northern Virginia.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “All of Me,” Mae West’s 1954 version of the 1931 song by Gerald Marks & Seymour Simons, which was featured in the 1932 Movie: Careless Lady, with Sy Oliver & His Orchestra, from the collection: Come Up and See Me Sometime – 30 Original Mono Recordings 1933-1954.

2. “Old Black Magic,” “Matilda” and “Green Couzina” by Johnny Hartman with the orchestra conducted by Oliver Nelson from the LP: I Love Everybody The first by Harold Arlen & Johnny Mercer, the other two a Calypso and a Yiddish song (of the latter, Hartman can be heard at the end saying: “Sammy Davis doesn’t even know this one yet!” referring to Sammy Davis Jr.’s conversion to Judaism) Oliver Nelson was the arranger & conductor. Recorded live in a studio before an audience in 1966.

3. “I Get a Kick Out of You” by Mel Torme and Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass from their 1995 recording: Velvet & Brass. Composed by Cole Porter for the 1934 Broadway musical and 1936 & 1956 movie versions of: Anything Goes.

4. “A Felicidade (Happiness)” by Karrin Allyson from her 2008 recording: Imagina – Songs of Brasil, by Antonio Carlos Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes with English lyrics by Susannah McCorkle, originally composed for the movie: Black Orpheus. Featuring Karrin Allysion on Piano and Ron Fleeman on Guitar.

5. “So Rare” by Ella Fitzgerald from her 1957 album: Hello Love (Taken from the CD: Like Someone in Love), composed by Jimmy Dorsey. With the orchestra conducted & arranged by Frank DeVol.

6. “Ay Valeria!” the Latin salsa song by the West African group Ricardo Lemvo & Makina Loca from their 2003 recording: Ay Valeria!

7. “Pua Lililehua” by the Hawaiian slack-key guitar master Keola Beamer from his CD: Soliloquy – Ka Leo Loko. This is a love song takes place in O'ahu's Palolo Valley, where two suitors court a woman: one a human, the other a Mo'o – ancient Hawai'i's legendary dragon.

8. “If Ever I Would Leave You” by Kenny Dorham from his 1963 LP: Una Mas The Lerner & Lowe tune from the 1960 Broadway musical: Camelot. Featuring Kenny Dorham on Trumpet; Joe Henderson on Tenor Sax; Herbie Hancock on Piano; Butch Warren on Bass; and Tony Williams on Drums.

9. “El Son Sigue Ahi” by Celia Cruz from the compilation: Hecho en Cuba, Volume 3.

10. “You Fascinate Me So” by Blossom Dearie from her 1959 LP: My Gentleman Friend, Composed by Cy Coleman & Carolyn Leigh. Featuring Ms. Dearie on Vocals and Piano; Kenny Burrell on Electric Guitar; Bobby Jaspar on Flute; Ray Brown on Bass; and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

11. “Time After Time” by Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra, from the anthology: I've Heard That Song Before: Songs of Jule Styne. Featured in the 1947 movie: It Happened in Brooklyn.

12. “Baby (You've Got What It Takes)” from the collection: The Definitive Dinah Washington. Her 1959 recording featuring a duet with Brook Benton.

13. “This Might Be Forever” composed and sung by Ann Hampton Callaway from her 1994 recording: Bring Back Romance.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2011-09-29 08:19 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies