Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Underwater exotica album art?

Pages: 1 2 replies

So I've got a request

I organize a few record fairs in New Orleans and I like making my own posters for the events. Usually it involves somebody seeking out records in a far-off adventurous locale. And when I can (and I don't always, but I like to) I like to mix my charcoal drawings with album art (favorite one here: http://recordraid.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/recordraid.jpeg (though jungle themed is pretty easy))

I'm going for underwater themed, and though I'm not really limited to exotica covers, the genre lends itself very well to these drawings. However, my own collection hasn't really yielded any results and the internet has given me Les Baxter's Jewels of the Sea and Leo Diamond's Skin Divers' Suite (I'll probably use his mermaid). Honestly, I'm fine with just some fish and maybe a clam where I can replace the pearl with a nice 45, but I've been striking out. The funny thing is, my main deal is surf rock, and I can't think of anything except for some really big waves for those covers.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

K

Not too much help, but these are the only ones I could think of off the top of my head..I'll poke around a bit more...but I think this might be it.

Jewels of the sea, the Blue Ribbon Strings, Blue Ribbon BRM-7009

Sea of dreams, Nelson Riddle & his orchestra, Capitol T-915

Black coral, The Rene Paulo Trio, Liberty LRP-3143

Blue Hawaii, Lawrence Welk, Pickwick/33 SPC-3212

There's not a whole lot to copy and paste, but some inspiration for sure. Love the lettering on Black Coral, might try to pull that off myself

Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 replies