Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My Tiki Hut ****In Tiki Magazine!!!!****

Pages: 1 36 replies

Hey everyone

I did some updates to the website dedicated to my backyard. New pictures of all the recent additions of tikis, plants, and other cool stuff.

http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/

yeah, its a crappy geocities site. If too many people look at it at once, it will shut down for an hour so pace yourself people.

Any comments, thought and suggestions can be emailed to me [email protected]

Have fun

Thanks,
Erich

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2007-08-11 12:01 ]

B

The place is looking great Erich. I like the story about the new Tiki...nice find.

Nice place!

I live in the Culver City area...if you ever have sort of an "open" house to this tiki backyard let me know....very nice work.

MM>

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2003 9:45 PM

any chance of seeing dat place in person while i'm on da mainland? If not no worries. You get one nice hut brah.

alohaz

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as seeing it in person, if anyone is going to be near the Rancho Cucamonga/ Fontana Calif area, let me know.
I'm sure we can work something out.
[email protected]

hey, I'll even open the doors and you can see my lawn mower inside! (people really get disappointed that it holds my garden supplies and that its not a bar)

Erich Troudt

I love your old tiki's. It's like you are running a tiki rescue shelter. I feel the same way about my poor old Witco tiki. I found her sitting in front of an antique store all beat up, cracked and weathered. I named her Hillary.

Erich:

Astounding. Beautiful work!

You must build a tiki bar inside, anything else is a waste of such a fine tiki hut, preferably in time for an end-of-summer initiation ritual.

Hey all, I did some much needed updating to my website dedicated to my backyard. I hope you enjoy it!

Erich

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2005-07-26 22:26 ]

J

Looks great Erich, definitely one of the finest backyards on TC! But I gotta question though... what's inside the tiki hut? :)

A fine HuT indeed, you do us proud, now can we put you down for a tour and bash somewhere in September? I'll bring drink umbrellas, others?

As a proud Pasadena resident and fellow tikiaficianado (who drives right by Rancho Cucamonga on his way to Empire Lakes G.C. more than once-a-month - are you pretty close to that, E.T.???) - I loudly cast an "AYE" vote for making this an official "CRAWL STOP"!! All in favor, signify by saying "AYE!" as well!!!

Do the "aye's" have it???

H

I saw your hut a whilst ago and loved it. I still love it, perhaps even more now.

Hi Erich
Your backyard looks great! I'm just starting on my yard with tropical plants and eventually want to have a heavily decorated tiki bar and cover out there. Your hut is too cool.
A question for you... I'm just down the hill from you... do you have to take all of your decorations down when the Santa Ana winds blow? Or do you leave em up and hope for the best? My yard gets thrashed pretty good every year and I'm pretty sure I'd loose stuff if it wasn't nailed down 4 times over!

Wow, that place looks great. Hope you don't mind if I steal a few ideas from you?

M

Sweet hut and design. I loved the Mystery Tiki story. He's in a good home now.

Mahalo

WooHoo!!! So when's the party??? :wink:

Excellent work! I've been trying to see the site for 4 days and it was worth the wait. Very nice job indeed!
I really like how your bananas are doing. I just planted my first this spring and can not believe how large he has gotten in just a few months. The hard part will be when I have to dig him up in the fall to bring him back indoors. Hope it works out OK.
Again, very nice handy work!

Aloha, Nice!! Not bad for mainland! When global warming really hits. He'll be ready with coconut trees AND probably beachfront property...while the HumuHumu swim by.

Heres a few pics of the new bridge I bought for my backyard.
I had been considering buying one for over a year and finally did it. All and all I'm pretty happy with it.
Erich

OL

Way to go, Erich! Great pictures.

Nice job! From first hand experience with bannas - fruiting will kill the stem, and the fruit really doesn't taste that good. We keep cutting the pods off before they open to keep the stem alive - folige more important than bad bannas

On 2005-09-11 07:49, mermaidhouse wrote:
Nice job! From first hand experience with bannas - fruiting will kill the stem, and the fruit really doesn't taste that good. We keep cutting the pods off before they open to keep the stem alive - folige more important than bad bannas

Um...well...I hate to disagree but, a couple of things, first most banana plants grow cooking bananas not eating bananas, slice a home grown banana length wise and fry it in a little butter and brown sugar and I promise you will never cut off a bud again, second the fruiting signals the plant to send up "babies" You will get 4-10 new plants when the one stalk dies. Oh yeah, when the bananas are all out and you can see that there will be no more, then cut off the end at the flower, it makes an incredible soup, then when the bananas are all formed but not yet yellow, cut off the bunch, loose wrap with newspaper and put them in a dark place for a few days. Be sure to keep and eye on them, they ripen fast. I have about 4 to 5 plants at any given time in fruit, I also like to cook pork in the ground, banana stalks are what I use to line the pit as Ti plants are rare here and seaweed is a myth. I would hate to cut down a good plant to use but a flowering stalk is a prime target.

damn... wish i could live like that too. great!

This could be the end of the line for my Backyard.

The wife and I have decided to move, so the hut will be coming down soon. I'll be taking out the ponds, and some of the trees and plants.

I made it real clear to the realitor that it was coming all down and to make sure the new people realized this.

The new place we are bidding on is a newer house that has a slightly bigger yard, and the reminents of a pond and Lava rock waterfall. While it depressing to think about tearing down the hut, it exciting to think about recreating it with a blank slate. The elements are much friendlier in the new yard than mine was originally.

So anyone who hasn't seen the site, here it is:

Anyone who is nearby that wants to see it in person better contact me quick :)

Erich

M

Big Sigh of sadness. Will you continue to tikify your new digs (providing there is space)?

This was a very nice place to behold.

Mahalo

So I didn't move and the hut and the backyard is still intact, and better than ever.

The lawn equipment was banished back to the garage and the inside of the hut it all decorated inside. I put up tons of shelves and filled them with shells, tikis, nautical stuff, etc. It look like a real Trading Post now.

Put up new thatching, and added a new section of beem cardved by b-one tiki.

For fathers day I received one of those big bamboo chairs from big lots. I rigged the hut with electricity and enjoy sitting in there at night, smoking cigars and watching adventure movies, indiana jones, ramar of the jungle and pirate documentaries.

Some really cool pics will be surfacing soon of the backyard.

Erich

Good Lord! It's the magical return of Erich Troudt. Can't wait to see some new pictures.

Damn you're a tease Erich! :wink: Let's see the new stuff man!! I gotta get over to B-One Tiki's place one of these days...

T

Open the doors... you got granny locked up in their !!!!

T

Yeah! And what's the story behind the non-move? Unless it's too personal...

No story behind the non-move. Just had a hard time selling our house in a slow market and finally gave up. People were offering low money for it. We wanted to move, we didn't Have to. It just didn't make sense financially. We are pretty happy here. Maybe we'll try again in a few years.

On 3 of the offers we got on the house, their realtor wrote it up wanting the hut. Some people were really into it, others were like, "you're taking that weird thing with you right?"

Pics of the new additions coming soon, I promise.......

Erich

M

Sweet! Your keepin it!

We thought about a newer and bigger home, (3 kids) but, with all that we have done to the yards and the slow market. We are stayin too. Just upgrade one room at a time. Keeps the hut and yard happier knowing it's maker is there too.

Mahalo

McTiki

I promised new pics would be coming soon, and there finally here....In TIKI MAGAZINE!!!!

Man, it awesome...I feel like a little kid at x-mas. I walk around with the new issue in my hand just showing random people...."Hey look my backyard is in tiki magazine."

Jonpaul did an awesome job with the pics and the story. He spent 3 hours here just shooting, telling stories and hanging out. Really a cool dude.

Thanks to Nick and Jonpaul!!

Hey Congrats! I know you've put much effort and aloha into that hut of yours and am happy that the whole world now gets to experience it.

-Weird Unc

Man your secret is out! :wink:

Congratulations again, your yard IS "Totally Tikified"!

I

Hey congratulations!

I just came back from checking your site devoted to your tiki hut--too cool!!! And the bananas on your banana trees! Wow. I think that's so weird--I've always seen bananan trees but never any bananas so they're kind of mythical--like fireflies (I have yet to see one in person).

(By the way, the link in your profile isn't leading to your site anymore.)

Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

I.

Pages: 1 36 replies