Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

QUESTION re: Hawaiian Inn St. Pete Beach Florida

Pages: 1 24 replies

Can any of my Tiki bretren in Florida give me an idea of when the Hawaiian Inn at 6200 Gulf Blvd., St. Pete Beach, FL 33706 was in existance?

I found a really cool matchbook at the flea market today but can find nothing on the existance of this place, which appears to have changed hands many times (from Days Inn to Best Western among others).

So, if you know of the place...or have any link to where I can find some news regarding the motel (which boasted a Kon-Tiki Supper Club and an Aloha Lounge upstairs), please let me know.

Thanks.

Oh for Petes sake! No one here knows anything about this place?!

Hello? Is this thing on...(tap-tap-tap)...hello?

T

All I know about it is:

"Hawaiian Inn, 6200 Gulf Blvd., St. Petersburg Beach, FL
The building still stands, but the interior has been renovated."

JT- Thanks. I was kinda hoping someone down there had some kind of info. Like I said, it was just a matchbook that got me looking into it but I was more dumbfounded by what I did not find. I mean, there is nothing on this place. Kinda weird.

Thanks again.

I explored the current location two years ago and posted a picture on the old Yahoo site. Althought the bar was kind of cool, the outside of the hotel had been covered in an ugly white siding. I spoke to a few employees and couldn't find anything. No one that worked knew it had ever been called the Hawaiian Inn. I have checked old AAA Tourbooks for the Hawaiian Inn and can't find it listed. I have the same matchbook you mentioned and a postcard of it. Judging by the cars in the parking lot,I would say late sixties. The postcard says, "Hawaiian Inn - Resort Motel on the Gulf - A fun place. 104 luxury rooms. Swimming pool. Tiki Beach Bar. Kon-tiki Supper Club. Superb Polynesian Cuisine. Authentic Hawaiian Floor Shows. Aloha Lounge. Dancing & Entertainment. (813) 367-1902. 6200 Gulf Blvd., St. Pete Beach, Fla. 33706."
I also have an x-eyes mug that has Hawaiian Inn written on the back that is so completely different from those used by the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona that I suspect this mug came from St. Pete.
Lastly, I have seen another postcard for this hotel that depicts their hula dancers. Unfortunately, I lost that bid and have never seen it again.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-06-16 20:39 ]

Geoff- Thanks. I appreciate your reply. I'll now know to keep a better eye out for that stuff.

I was finally able to obtain some nice postcards from the Hawaiian Inn in St. Pete, Florida.

Here's an outside view at night:

Open-beam a-frame ala the Mai Kai and some giant back-lit tiki masks whose details, unfortunately are lost in the darkness. There are, however these Wito-esque tikis on either side of the front door:

...and a few image of some of the fine talent that performed there:

Does the building still look anything like the postcard from the outside?

Sabu

Sabu,
That's the same postcard of the hotel that I have. I think it must have been taken by the person who photographed the Hawaiian Isle & Inn and the Tahitian Inn card because all three have the same timed exposure thing going on.
The building is the same, except the A-frame is gone, the tikis are gone and the rock/brick walls are covered in this weird white siding. So, it doesn't look anything like the old building other than the basic layout and the windows. They have a bar, but it isn't polynesian at all.
Judging by the third card you posted, it is easy to see why no one can remember anything about the Hawaiian Inn. It must have gone disco... latin-style.
The Hula card is the one I had spotted about two years ago on e-bay. Thanks for posting it.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-15 15:24 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 7:26 PM

On 2003-06-16 20:37, Kailuageoff wrote:
I explored the current location two years ago and posted a picture on the old Yahoo site.

If you still have that pic I'd love to see it. I used to live on Treasure Island and spent alot of time and killed alot brain cells on St Pete Beach.

P

Here's another postcard from the Hawaiian Inn in St. Pete :

A closer view of the lobby, with an outrigger suspended from the ceiling, and are those Witco chairs, side tables, and sofas (did Witco make lights ) ?

[ Edited by: puamana on 2004-02-04 20:23 ]

Far out! The Hawaiian Inn's interior... Yes, Witco made lights and sofas and tables. There is a Witco sofa and chairs still in the lobby at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach. That is a really great card, and it wouldn't jump out at you unless you knew what you were looking for. Did you buy it online, or in person? I gotta have that one.
KG

T

I lived in St.Pete until 1977. My parents used to go there quite frequently and bring us kids. At least I think that was the place. Ah the memories... I wish I had some pictures from back then!

Formikahini has an album by the house band there. Very Elvis Vegas style show.

T

I have a leilani mug from the Hawaiian Inn, too... unless it is a different Hawaiian Inn?

On 2004-02-04 06:12, tikifish wrote:
I have a leilani mug from the Hawaiian Inn, too... unless it is a different Hawaiian Inn?

The leilani mug is from the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach.

On 2004-01-16 13:48, puamana wrote:
Here's another postcard from the Hawaiian Inn in St. Pete :

A closer view of the lobby, with an outrigger suspended from the ceiling, and are those Witco chairs, side tables, and sofas (did Witco make lights ) ?

I don't know, I can't seeeee...tis just two lil' white x-es on red..how does that happen?

P

The Hawaiian Inn postcard pics should show up now :

Thanks, I can see now...but not much, with that exposure, sigh.

Does it say "Tiki Bar" on that beach porch? Probably one of those Florida beach style "Tiki Bars" that bear the name but no Tikis...

Witco made lamps, but not those, they seem like large hotel decor. The resolution is so bad on the tiny pic that I cannot see detail, but judging by the boomerang shape of the sofa table, and the leopard lamp shade, it could be Witco furniture.

Geoff, go there and ask'em what they did to that furniture (and if they have any better pics of the lobby from then...yeah, sure!)

Hey! Can you guys relink your photos. This is another place we can add to the field/road trip!

T

Chipster...you're 25 years 2 late on this place.....
This was the place that got me Tiki(ed)!!!

H

On 2008-08-02 21:02, Chip and Andy wrote:
Hey! Can you guys relink your photos. This is another place we can add to the field/road trip!

I found some larger images of the postcards:

On 2008-08-04 09:54, TikiLaLe wrote:

I know that..... but we can still drive by the place, or whatever is left of the place, and imagine can't we? Before and After shots and all of that fun stuff.

S
sungod posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 2:23 PM

Hakalugi, TOO FUNNY!!!

P
pablus posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 6:29 PM

If you come that close without coming over to the Rusty Key I'll be so wounded I may never recover.

T

On 2008-08-04 10:45, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-08-04 09:54, TikiLaLe wrote:

I know that..... but we can still drive by the place, or whatever is left of the place, and imagine can't we? Before and After shots and all of that fun stuff.

(.)(.)
Tell you what, I'll stand outside the place and wave !!!!

Pages: 1 24 replies