Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Not Martin Denny?

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

I just read Dana Countyman's interview with Martin Denny while searching for info on Denny lps that were "ghosted". In it Denny refers to the Spanish Village and Exotic Moog recordings and many of those in between as being produced by Liberty but not using him or the other members of his groups. Without naming any lps he did make it seem like he did record on some records in this era though.

So my question is, which of the Denny albums were recorded without Martin Denny or the band?

O

The last LP from the classic era that featured his real group was "In Person," as far as I know. Catalog numbers of that album are 7224 (stereo) and 3224 (mono). Any LPs with numbers below those are really Martin Denny. The personnel is listed on most or all of these albums.

I am guessing that MD and his group are also on the "Exotic Suite," with Si Zentner. This is from around the same time as "In Person" but it uses Liberty's deluxe series catalog numbers, so I have been unable to place it exactly in the chronology.

Anything with higher numbers than those that I listed previously gets us into the "Taste of Honey" era and later. These are clearly studio groups and they never list personnel. Whether MD had anything to do with the concepts, song selections, etc. I really don't know. I think everyone would agree that these albums do not contain MD's signature sound.

That said, I think there may be some group involvement on "Hawaii.""Oro God of Thunder" is written by Julius Wechter. I realize that Wechter had gone onto A&M records by this point, but I guess it's possible that he could have been brought back for this album.

I really wonder what MD's live group was playing on the road while all these studio sessions were being churned out.

Finally, there is a much later Liberty album (The Enchanted Isle from 1982) that is actually Martin Denny. This album may use some earlier recordings though. I think the version of "Coronation" on here is identical to the earlier recording that was titled "Volcano" for a B-side, but I've never digitally A/Bed the two. Maybe I can do that later.

And then there is the rare 90s reunion album that came out in Japan.

Jeff Central will likely have some more info.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2011-10-09 06:36 ]

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2011-10-09 06:38 ]

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2011-10-09 07:24 ]

H

Does anyone actually have this Martin Denny- Arthur Lyman 1985 Japanese Tour LP?

I never heard of this!!!

Pages: 1 2 replies