Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Survivor- South Pacific - Poly Pop and Traditional Tiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

There's threads for different seasons of Survivor, but none yet for this season's "South Pacific." Out of many of the previous seasons involving the tropics, this one has by far the most tiki themes.

There's a mix of Marquesan, Hawaiian, Tahitian and even a little PNG Poly Pop influence. Not sure where the large tikis are coming from, but some of the one's at Tribal Council are for sure of the Poly Pop style. But in more of a West Coast influence then East Coast.

Whether you love it or hate it, the props are always well done and the challenges do a great job of incorporating the theme. I've found myself watching every episode involving a South Pacific island since the show started.

Tonight's episode stood out to me because of one carving, and it was a throwback.

One of the targets in the challenge was the Kauai Surf logo. Jumped right off the screen at me. Any other Survivor watchers catch that?

I'm going to try and get some more screen captures of the other tikis in the previous episodes and post 'em here.

Classic Fatu Hiva tiki in the background

Poly Pop poles in the background at the Tribal Council hut

S

A real mish-mash in there, but it is very loaded this year. Get an image of the actual tribal councel hut. That is hard core Poly Pop!

W

Yep, I've been watching. Enjoying it so far.

T

Things like this start a small flame in the tiki nuts
of the future.
It's a good sign for tiki really.
How many of us watched the Brady bunch Hawaii episode or Gillagans island.

Now when i'm 80 I can sell all my tiki to buy diapers.

TS

I'm not particularly a fan of Survivor but my wife is. This is the first one that I actually want to watch. It truely is for the tikiesence that abounds in this one. I did like the swizzle stick targets that they were supposed to hit with the coconuts. Very poly pop and I dug it. Yes...glad that Tiki is being represented to a new viewing audience. I am also glad that Hollywood is keeping it in the public eye.
Tiki no ka'oi!
TS

Nice setting - wonder what island that is on :D :

http://www.aol.com/video/youve-got-jeff-probst/517272534/?ncid=wsc-video-cards-image

I especially like his last words: "This IS for REAL!"

Pages: 1 7 replies