Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sammy Hagar rum?

Pages: 1 15 replies

New issue of Hawaii magazine has full page ad for "Sammy's Beach Bar Rum." Picture in ad is an 80-proof white rum, with "Product of Hawaii" and "Cane Rum" prominently displayed. Can't find too much else about it. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

(I've cross-posted this on Ministry of Rum forums, too)

Doesn't look like it's out yet (November?)but it sounds like it will be good.

A

It's funny, but normally you would see a product like this and assume a celebrity just slapped their name on a mediocre spirit to make a buck capitalizing on their fame (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffet of Landshark Lager). But Hagar's Cabo Wabo tequila is actually considered one of the better tequilas on the market so this rum may be pretty good.

On 2011-10-20 13:35, arriano wrote:
It's funny, but normally you would see a product like this and assume a celebrity just slapped their name on a mediocre spirit to make a buck capitalizing on their fame (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffet of Landshark Lager). But Hagar's Cabo Wabo tequila is actually considered one of the better tequilas on the market so this rum may be pretty good.

I hate tequila but I too love Hagar's Cabo Wabo (blue bottle - whatever that one is). I'd give his rum a try. Even if it's not great it's still rum.

I agree, his blue bottle tequila is excellent. I'm definitely gonna try the rum.

You all make me sick! unless you have seen "Billy Zoom's Punk Rum" any where?
just checking, I am still laughing at you!

Unless you want to hang out or something? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a :drink: and another :drink: hic! :drink:

Didn't he just sell his interest in the tequilla for big bucks?

along these lines, is the Dan Akyroyd crystal head vodka any good? (pls, no rehashing of general anti-vodka rants)

The Crystal Head is supposed to be very good vodka, indeed.
That being said, so many vodkas are made so well these days that you can spend half the money of the "premium" vodkas and get a vodka just as good.
Gvori, Russian Shot, Finlandia, and Russian Standard to name a few.
Finlandia is my favorite, as it has the most flavor... their "midnight sun" during the growing season adds extra oils to the 6-row barley they use, resulting in a fuller more delicious flavor.

As for Sammy rum... I'd like to try a cane rum from Hawaii. I suspect it's gonna be way too damned expensive, though.

On 2011-10-23 08:57, thePorpoise wrote:
along these lines, is the Dan Akyroyd crystal head vodka any good? (pls, no rehashing of general anti-vodka rants)

Crystal Head is excellent. Very smooth and I like the aftertaste. Others favorites: Kettle One, Sky, Grey Goose, Ciroc, and Xellent - a Swiss vodka (red bottle) that has a very unique slightly sweet flavor.
Here's a link you might like: http://www.gayot.com/spirits/top10vodkas/main.html

Buy a book! Support an independent mixologist, author & publisher!
http://www.KahunaKevin.com

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-10-24 02:41 ]

Here's an extensive article about Sammy's new rum from the Star Advertiser:

http://www.honolulupulse.com/slider/grind-time-sammy-hagar-looks-to-maui-for-new-spirit

Must be nice to be able to afford 13 acres on maui. Ahhhh....

Q

Thanks for posting this. It's good to get some firsthand info, although I doubt I'll see it in TN anytime soon.

Cheers and Aloha!

Just tried some of the Sammy's Beach Bar Rum tonight. I'm not an expert taster, but it's certainly not something I'd normally sip, as they recommend in the article (but then, I wouldn't generally sip a white/silver rum to begin with.) To me, the smell & taste is reminiscent of Lucky Charms cereal (the cereal part, not the marshmallows), and it has a bit of an oily texture. I like his tequila better.
(I'm still waiting for Billy Zoom's punk rum!)

On 2013-10-29 20:38, bamalamalu wrote:

(I'm still waiting for Billy Zoom's punk rum!)

you'll take the Hedgehog's Rum and like it, punkle!

On 2013-10-29 20:38, bamalamalu wrote:
(but then, I wouldn't generally sip a white/silver rum to begin with.)

ah, but you would if you had the El Dorado 3-yr-old on hand. Aye, ye would, I daresay, ye would...

Duly noted - now I'm gonna have to try that!

Pages: 1 15 replies