Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

West A Dad tries some lamps

Pages: 1 13 replies

W

I've always been amazed at the lamps made by the ingenious folks here at TC. I've been gathering supplies for a little while now and thought I'd give it a try.

Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Made the inner frame from 3/8" medium density fiberboard. Seperated the top and bottom with some equal length pieces that will be hidden behind bamboo.

Here's a loose mock-up with one of Dawn Frasier's designs. Dawn's designs are killer!

The bulb used here is way too bright, I'm looking for substitutes.

Here's a top I plan to use.

And finally, I've cut and shellacked some bamboo. Got the braid from Frank's Cane and Rush. Those folks are great to work with.

Thanks for looking, more to come!

Chris
WestADad

Awesome Chris! I think this thread is the start of something great.

so cool to see the fabrics being used in this project! and thank you for choosing them.

Looking forward to future posts!

What fun this is to now watch you creating. It's very special that you are using Dawn's fabric. Super, Wendy

Nice work Chris! I agree with Mike, strong start to your thread!

W

Thank you all for the replies! Really motivates me to keep working!

Go! You'll get to 100 pages in no time! :D

W

Made some progress. Made a silicone mold and then used it to cast a resin disc for the bottom of the lamp. Added some embellishments around the resin disc this evening.

And one more with a 7 watt bulb. Need to experiment with different bulbs.

More to come, thanks for looking!

Is the net cast into the resin? Cool idea! Gives new meaning to John 21:6 "Cast your nets..." :D

Yes,Yes,Yes!

Good stuff! Tiki lamp, how cool is that?!

Nice work!

W

Thank you all for the kind comments! Did a little with the lamp this weekend, mostly internal for the bulb holder. Yes Mike, the net is in the resin. I got the inspiration for that from Kahaka's lamps.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

[ Edited by: WestADad 2011-11-14 06:18 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies