Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Outrigger Waikiki Reef or Beach??

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hi all,
I'm going to be spending 15 days in Hawaii in December. 2 on Oahu, 7 on Maui and then 6 back on Oahu. I'm trying to decide where to stay for those first 2 nights. It will be a Friday and Saturday (which is my 40th birthday) flying to Maui on Sunday. We aren't going to bother to rent a car for essentially a day and a half so I wanted to stay right on the beach. When we come back to Oahu we are staying at the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel, so that might give you an idea of what I like (FUN!) I prefer to stay in an oceanfront room so I've narrowed it down price-wise to the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Hotel and the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. (I just can't afford the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider or Halekulani) Just wondering if anyone here has stayed at both and can offer an opinion of which is better. Also.. what is the best luau on Oahu in your fine opinions? I read some reviews on TripAdvisor but so many people seem super picky and have really elevated expectations. I mean, it's supposed to be cheesy and touristy, isn't it? I'm leaning toward Paradise Cove for the location alone, I figure food and drink-wise all things will be equal with the others, but I am definitely open to suggestion. This is my third trip to Oahu and I've never been to Maui. Thanks so much for your help!

Aloha,

I've had good reports of the Outrigger Reef and many Tiki people who visit stay there. The A-frame is the first to go up in Waikiki in 50 years. It is also close to Arnold's Beach Bar on Satatoga,, and there is good music at the Kanekapila grill. The Paradise Cove luau is one of the better ones but does require a trip to the west side.

Thanks! Still mulling things over... but nice to know there really is no bad decision.

BTW... my copy of "Waikiki Tiki" arrived yesterday. I absolutely love it!!

Bad Ass views from the Sheraton!

We've only stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Hotel. After one stay it was such a favorite that we never booked anywhere else. It's right across the road from the International Marketplace if that still exists and the Thor store.

What we liked was that it had three restaurants on site. One of them is Duke's Canoe Club with a great breakfast buffet. It was easy to walk along the beach past the Royal Hawaiian clear to the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

We found no downside to this place. Best Wishes for you to have a great trip, Wendy

Aloha

On 2011-10-28 18:28, GraniteWahine wrote:
BTW... my copy of "Waikiki Tiki" arrived yesterday. I absolutely love it!!

OH Thanks so very much. I'd be happy to give you a Waikiki Tiki walking tour and sign it! Just shoot me an email as your trip gets closer. Also allow me to suggest the Royal GROVE hotel. Very old school, cheap and very cool. Just one block from the beach I love.

best,

Phillip

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-01 23:16 ]

I wouldn't worry about where you are staying, as much as where you are going.
I would recommend Tiki's, the PCC, or a Luau, to celebrate the momentous event.

I enjoyed the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, and its ocean front location and free (prepaid) breakfast with hula.

WooHoo! 2 Thumbs Up to Waikiki Outrigger on The Reef :)

Thank you so much everybody! We decided on the Outrigger Waikiki Beach, because it is within reasonable staggering distance to Tiki's, where the big birthday dinner is happening. I can't wait to see Maui for the first time and eventually all of the neighbor islands, but I have a feeling Oahu will always be number one for this city wahine. I love staying in Waikiki for the nightlife and then venturing out daily to different parts of the island. It's why our trip has kind of an odd schedule. I wanted my actual birthday to be in Waikiki, then I wanted to do the Maui week before the Oahu week, because I wanted to save what I knew I loved for last.
Also, Honolulu is having it's Christmas tree lighting and parade on my birthday!! How thoughtful of them!!!

As I read back through these posts I thought to myself "what a terrible problem I have! Such a dilemma!"

Phillip, thank you so much for the kind offer. You'll be hearing from me!!!

W

So how did the trip go?

Pages: 1 9 replies