Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

FOR SALE: 11 liters Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix with FREE SHIPPING

Pages: 1 11 replies

J

Hello all,

I'm throwing a Halloween party this weekend with a Hawaiian theme. I'm mixing 5 gallons of Mai Tais in a large beverage cooler. After doing a bit of research, I decided to try Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix and ordered the necessary amount from Amazon (12 liters.) Then my husband and I tried one, and decided the mix is not for us. We are now planning to mix them from scratch using the original TV recipe. Unfortunately, Amazon does not allow returns of grocery items.

So, now I have 11 liters of unopened TV Mai Tai mix! I know from scanning this forum that some of you like the mix, and that the TV store charges a lot for shipping. So, I'd like to offer these up for $69.00 (what I paid). I will pay for shipping by US Priority Mail to your continental U.S. address. By my estimation, this should save you about $15 if you normally order from Trader Vic's.

Thanks--maybe we can help each other out! First person to PM me gets dibs!

Jen

How about you tell us where you live so we can "trick or treat" your house for mai tais!!! :D

what the-- his name is my name too!

D

How bad was it?

On 2011-10-26 20:56, thePorpoise wrote:
what the-- his name is my name too!

I knew we were related

On 2011-10-27 06:45, djmont wrote:
How bad was it?

I can taste the "chemicallyness" in the TV Mai tai mix. It is just as bad as a margarita made with margarita mix.
Skål,
Erik

D

You can buy this direct from Amazon yourself for $5.40 a bottle.

J
jenvet posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2011 9:56 AM

I'll match that if you are interested ($5.40 x 11 = $59.40, plus free shipping).

Like I said, I'm not trying to make any money from anyone, just trying to recoup some of our costs for something we won't be using.

On 2011-11-01 09:56, jenvet wrote:
I'll match that if you are interested ($5.40 x 11 = $59.40, plus free shipping).

Like I said, I'm not trying to make any money from anyone, just trying to recoup some of our costs for something we won't be using.

Tough crowd to sell premix to. I'd suggest Craigslist if you haven't already.

TG

It's a shame you ever bought any in the first place jenvet. Beforehand did you get a chance to read any posts here on TC regarding TV Mai Tai Mix? I doubt that you'll find any fans of the stuff and those who don't badmouth it completely tend to label it as a last resort act of desperation. For me it doesn't qualify as resort of any kind.

I personally have bought some and after a single use poured it down the drain. Not only does it not taste like a Mai Tai, it doesn't taste good at all no matter what it's called. I'm sure there are plenty of TCers who feel the same way. I would not ever want to receive any as a gift. Similarly, I wouldn't ever give any to anyone as a gift. It's ironic that it is impossible to make a Mai Tai if you use TV's Mai Tai Mix and doubly ironic that the company responsible for producing such a Mai Tai killer is Trader Vic's.

Good luck in getting rid of yours. If it was me, I wouldn't subject myself nor my friends nor total strangers to it, so the contents would go immediately to the drain and the bottles to a public recycle bin. I wouldn't want my neighbors to see all those bottles in my bin on recycle day, think it must be good, then go out and actually buy some themselves.

MN

I thought "chemically" sounded bad.

J

I have received an offer for the mix; thank you to everyone who considered it. Perhaps I can be forgiven for not realizing that most of you would not be interested.

BTW, I wasn't that impressed with the 'real' recipe either. I found the amount of rum overpowering. I also felt terribly stupid for not anticipating that Trader Vic's orgeat and rock candy syrups would both be HFCS-based, just like the mix.

I'm sure that Mai Tais are lovely with nicer rum and homemade orgeat and rock candy syrups, but I don't have a lot of experience in bartending and wanted something simple that I could make in bulk for our Hawaiian-themed Halloween party. In retrospect, it was probably a mistake to try it at all. Ah well!

Pages: 1 11 replies