Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur review

Pages: 1 18 replies

D

I recently posted a review of Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur on ProfessorCocktail.com.

http://www.professorcocktail.com/2011/10/liqueur-review-trader-vics-macadamia-nut-liqueur.html

It's sweet, but yummy.

T

I love macadamia nut chi chis! (See Beachbum Berry's Intoxica!)

D

I thought about making those, but was too lazy to get out the blender. I'd probably also make them with rum instead of vodka.

(I'm not a vodka hater -- it just always struck me as strange in this drink.)

T

I hear you. I had the exact same inclination. I think I used El Dorado 3 year.

Anyway, it didn't work - for me. I tend to avoid vodka, but I think this is one recipe
where it's the right spirit. And since there aren't that many "good" vodka base tropical
cocktails, I resolved to just leave it alone. ; -)

Although maybe there's a more suitable choice in rum? Banks?

The driest white rum I've had is the Flor de Cana Extra Dry 4 year (aka white). I could see that working here. I actually like vodka, so I use Tito's handmade vodka in this one.

T

I like vodka in this drink too. It's a great drink!

I was wondering about Macadamia Nut Liqueur the other day. Its not something ive been able to find in the UK, but i have discovered Frangelico, which is a Hazelnut liqueur. I was wondering if anyone had tried both and whether they thought the Hazelnut liqueur could be substituted for the Macadamia nut at a push?

On 2011-10-27 16:49, Atomic Zombie Bastard wrote:
I was wondering about Macadamia Nut Liqueur the other day. Its not something ive been able to find in the UK, but i have discovered Frangelico, which is a Hazelnut liqueur. I was wondering if anyone had tried both and whether they thought the Hazelnut liqueur could be substituted for the Macadamia nut at a push?

We had it with frangelico the other night and it was pretty good. The hazelnut started to be a bit cloying toward the end I thought though, but my girlfriend had 2 so maybe it's just me....

D
djmont posted on Sat, Nov 5, 2011 2:11 PM

I think there's a fairly low limit to how much of this stuff you can drink, whether Frangelico or the Macadamia Nut, or whatever. The distillers will never tell, but I think there must be quite a bit of sugar in it.

On 2011-10-27 16:49, Atomic Zombie Bastard wrote:

The Trader Vic's Macamia Nut Liqueuer can't be beaten on taste for a liqueur, but Monin make a Macadamia Nut syrup, which although not a liqueur does a very good job of getting the taste correct.

Thanks for the feedback guys! On due consideration i reckon I'd better try both options then. Just to be sure, of course..

and then report back.

but kick the Glaziers in the arse first.

RB

Putting aside the taste (which I like), the bottle itself is beautiful and looks great on display in my home bar.

D
djmont posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2011 9:49 AM

I agree -- the bottle is beautiful.

my mom does a rum cake and i suggested to her replacing the rum with trader vic's macadamia nut liquer, which turned out quite nicely.
just an fyi, especially with the holidays coming up.

C

The other day me and my husband visited Tamborine Mountain Distillery in Queensland, Australia. I bought a bottle of macadamia nut liqueur there, for the purpose of making chi chis as well as sipping. It's delicious on its own, I haven't tried a chi chi yet as my blender is in transit from the UK!

You can see a bottle of the stuff here http://www.tamborinemountaindistillery.com/products/product_macadamia.htm - expensive, but all liquor in Australia is! They also do hibiscus, passion fruit and loads of other liqueurs.

Speaking of passion fruit, I today discovered in a supermarket tinned passion fruit pulp. It has sugar added and tastes very sweet, so think I will save money on Monin syrup and try this in my next zombie! Monin costs upwards of $15 for 700ml, whereas the pulp is $1.50 for 170g.

8T

I picked up a bottle of this on the way to Hukilau and just finished it last night with friends. I only served it as shots and suggested they sip it. You don't want a lot of this at once but it is fun to watch the expressions of people who have never tried it. Many positive remarks. Like where can I get this stuff?

They also put out a chocolate liqueur and unfortunately they have discontinued their Kona Coffee liqueur which imo was far superior to Kahlua. Makes an outstanding Mexican Coffee.
Cheers

F

On 2016-01-24 17:39, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I picked up a bottle of this on the way to Hukilau and just finished it last night with friends. I only served it as shots and suggested they sip it. You don't want a lot of this at once but it is fun to watch the expressions of people who have never tried it. Many positive remarks. Like where can I get this stuff?

I'm about to run out of my bottle (which has lasted over 18 months!) I got mine at Total Wine but have also seen it at Hi Time in Costa Mesa,CA (for the OC/SoCal folks.)
http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/liqueurs-cordials-schnapps/nuts-amaretto/trader-vics-macadamia-nut-liqueur/p/4009750?s=1110&igrules=true

Google stores in your area that have more obscure stuff and call them.

I dig a little pour of this stuff in straightforward mai tais or chi chi's (my wife loves the mac nut chi chi). I agree that a little bit goes a long way - it's pretty sweet. But the flavor is good.

:drink:
Cheers!
Ryan

Pages: 1 18 replies