Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Need help with a Witco style fountain

Pages: 1 3 replies

Aloha everyone! I came across a 6 1/2' pine log and am attempting to carve a witco style fountain out of it. I need help with the dimensions of the bowls that the water cascades into and the carved box at the base where the water collects. Also would like to know the dimensions of the tongue block where the water comes out. If anyone knows what the measurements are for these I would be very grateful.

Also, any suggestions on waterproofing for outdoors in the midwest would be very helpful. I had planned on burning it with a torch for color and then some sort of UV protection and then soaking in linseed oil.

This is my first large scale carving and will hopefully find a happy home in my back yard.

Tikimitch

Do you have the book "Tiki Modern?"

There is a two page spread with a "how to" for a fountain. The spread was actually from a "How to Carve" book that Witco did.
No dimensions, but you can make that to your wishes.

I've done a few tiki fountains from wood and carving the bowls is the hardest part of the whole project.

T

Lake Surfer,

Thanks for the reply!!

I do have the Tiki Modern book - that was my inspiration for starting this project. I guess I am just a little too anal about getting the proportions right.

I am also still trying to figure out what to use for the bowls. The instructions say to bandsaw them from some thick chunks of wood - milled stock that thick would cost some bucks. What have you used for bowls on your carvings? Could I use a big stump of wood and then cross cust sections of it to use for the bowls?

By the way, another big inspiration for my carving has been watching the evolution of your work on this website. Great stuff!!

TikiMitch

[ Edited by: tikimitch 2011-11-01 04:50 ]

Thanks for the kind compliment on my work TikiMitch, very much appreciated.

You're on the right track with the bowl concept. You're probably looking at a log that's at least a foot and a half in diameter to carve a bowl out of.
I used pine for mine, but had to seal them after they were done because they cracked. Witco tikis were carved from Cedar.

You can carve the bowls with chisels, which will take long, a chainsaw, or use a tool that I used that goes on an angle grinder.
It's called a Lancelot, and its a scary tool... a bit dangerous too. But it works for carving big bowls.

http://katools.com/carving-tools/lancelot-and-squire-cutters/

Ken Pleasant is the resident Witco expert here, otherwise known as Keigs. He's also studied under William Westenhaver.

Pages: 1 3 replies