Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

cool web site

Pages: 1 18 replies

i found a great store in long beach for all things tiki particularly rounders and bars and all furniture i bought a bar and stools. the store has a website worth a look
http://www.kellysvintagestore.com

Rattanman, Aloha. I can't help but wonder if this is your website being that you posted this same link in the Main Discussion section as well without an intro or anything.

You're not Spamming us are you?

Release the Spam hounds! Get em pop

M

They make hot & spicy spam? Sweet!

Hmm, I wonder if smoke flavored is like.. smoke form mesquite, or like, smoke from a tire dump.

Hot n Spicy Spam is currently available at Big Lots!

:tiki:

T

I did get a cool sputnik lamp from them off of ebay.

T

http://hometown.aol.com/swizzledd/tiki.html

This web site is much cooler - nothing to buy - but lots to peep!

SwizzleDD has lots of swizzle sticks in his/her collection. And check out the amount of Leilani's!!!

I found the site looking up 'toronto tiki' on google. (which usually only links to my own damn self over and over again).

M

Hawaii consumes more SPAM than any other state.... It's a Fact.

aloha this is kelly reid. regarding the message regarding "spam" I have been in business for well over 14 years. I recieved several emails and calls at home regarding posting the message under "rattanman" at 41 and my husband is 73 I would under no circumstance do such a thing. while i appreciate the lovely comments, the spam thoughts are not welcome. my store has a wonderful track record, and i have had the pleasure of working with several corporations, hotels, designers, and customers over the years. many who are tiki lovers on this very site. aloha and thanks kelly and freeman reid

vintagegirlqueen,
Thanks for clarifying that. From time to time, this message board gets a new member who opens a profile to solicit us and after doing so, we never hear from that person again. The appearance of the above post looked very much like the many posts in the past where that has happened.

My mistake -- and as such, I apologize for wrongly accusing you of SPAM.

On 2003-06-09 09:20, PolynesianPop wrote:
Rattanman, Aloha. I can't help but wonder if this is your website being that you posted this same link in the Main Discussion section as well without an intro or anything.

You're not Spamming us are you?

Wouldn't spam be through email? or could spam be something that has nothing to do with the main subject of this board..Tiki. If I see something on this board that is a link to something Tiki for sale.. Im not gonna get upset. why would some one get upset over a link that has to do with your hobbie? I checked out the link... They have great vintage barkcloth fabrics! If you have something for sale that appeals to a certain group... why not let 'em know? Any red blooded American would do that!

I've stopped by Kelly's store many times in Long Beach, and it is a great store! Very high quality restoration and repro furniture, excellent upholstery & fabric choices.

It is a little pricier than most of us budget-minded collectors go for, but you really do get what you pay for there.

There are lots of vintage shops between Belmont Shore & downtown Long Beach... be sure to check out Kelly's shop if you hit the area.

Yours truly,
Trader Pup Brand-O-Spam!
:tiki:

C

I'm glad this site was posted, Kelly's has gorgeous rattan furniture. Some people aren't into message boards, but why exclude their links if they have cool (oh no, I used that word) stuff that is tiki-related? Let the TC members decide if the site/auctions are worthwhile. As Tikifish said on the spam thread, if someone is fool enough to post something untiki, let them feel the wrath of the poo flinging TC monkeys. The enusing melee makes my day go by faster.

ps I've got the Konakai.com link on my desktop thanks to TC too.

H

Regardless of whether the site is a good one (and I'm now convinced that it is), it sure smelled like reconstituted pork product to me when it got posted, so I didn't look at it. It's all about the presentation: if I'm sitting in a tiki bar, chatting with you guys, and Traderpup pipes up and tells us about a shop that's worth checking out, that's good presentation. If I'm in this same bar, chatting with you guys, and some schmolio sidles up out of nowhere, tells us about a shop that's worth checking out, and then leaves, the whole table's gonna say "what the hell was that all about?" It's just unfortunate that this guy chose to give poor presentation to a shop that apparently deserves better.

ETA: This is not to say that new folks shouldn't tell us about the shops & sites they like -- they should just be polite and introduce themselves first.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-06-10 13:23 ]

On 2003-06-10 13:15, Humuhumu wrote:
This is not to say that new folks shouldn't tell us about the shops & sites they like -- they should just be polite and introduce themselves first.

I think Humuhumu understands what I'm talking about. I agree that its ok to post links to things that we like however, I think there's a polite way to do it. It just doesn't seem polite for someone to open a profile and the first thing they do is solicit us before they even say Hello.

I admit I made a wrong assumption about the post above, but it did have all the characteristics of someone opening a profile specifically to advertise to us.

I know its our choice to decide for ourselves if the site/auctions are worthwhile, but that wasn't the point of my response. The quality/content of the site is irrelevant. I reacted the way I did because of the way the website was presented. To me, its not any different than going out to my car and seeing a flyer on the windshield.

On 2003-06-10 10:58, PolynesianPop wrote:
vintagegirlqueen,
Thanks for clarifying that. From time to time, this message board gets a new member who opens a profile to solicit us and after doing so, we never hear from that person again. The appearance of the above post looked very much like the many posts in the past where that has happened.

My mistake -- and as such, I apologize for wrongly accusing you of SPAM.

PolynesianPop
Special Tiki Central Agent,Polynesian Pop, and other tiki folks. thanks so much for the lovely comments. polynesian pop was very kind. kelly and freeman

Pages: 1 18 replies