Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Fairly rare Les Baxter LP...

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

Hey, I was doing a little LP Sharity blog hunting and came across this goodie. It's an LP of library music Les recorded for the KPM label. Good stuff. A lot of interesting stuff on the rest of the site too. Anyone come across any of these tunes on other LPs or heard them in movies or T.V. shows. Call o the Tropical Sun sounds a little familiar to me, but I don't know why. Thoughts? http://funkyfrolic.blogspot.com/

On 2011-11-08 19:44, spy-tiki wrote:
Hey, I was doing a little LP Sharity blog hunting and came across this goodie. It's an LP of library music Les recorded for the KPM label. Good stuff. A lot of interesting stuff on the rest of the site too. Anyone come across any of these tunes on other LPs or heard them in movies or T.V. shows. Call o the Tropical Sun sounds a little familiar to me, but I don't know why. Thoughts? http://funkyfrolic.blogspot.com/

A lot of songs from the KPM album Bugaloo in Brazil were retitled making them difficult for even me to trace back to the originals. A number of them do appear on The Colors of Brazil album though.

I'm still trying to decipher all these recordings. Glad someone else noticed them too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Isn't this just "African Blue" with different song titles?

On 2011-11-09 12:34, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
Isn't this just "African Blue" with different song titles?

Nope! There are tracks from African Blue on this though. Les Baxter had nothing to do with this record other than his name as composer. It was recorded by a Production Music library band and contains different arrangements than either of the two Brazil LP's.

This KPM record grew on me. I didn't like it at first. Definitely an oddity!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Wow, this is good to know. I asked about this album like 10 years ago and was told that it was the Africa Blue LP with different titles. Don't think I'll pay top dollar for it though!

Pages: 1 4 replies