Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What, Setzer can't get Shag?

Pages: 1 10 replies

The new Brian Setzer Orchestra greatest hits album features, for the second time, half assed Shag ripoff art. I think the artist is a guy named Andy Engel but this is the second time that the art director for Setzer's records had decided to use him. Once I happened upon this cd last night, I could tell right away that it was another Shag copy. The last time that they did this, in the liner notes, they at least mentioned; 'Art inspired by the the art of Shag.'This time they totally left that out.

So my question is, if Shag is doing stuff for the 'Spike' network, why couldn't Setzer get him to do artwork for him? It's not like he can't afford him, especially with two grammys under his belt. Also, doing artwork for Setzer makes more sense to me than him doing art for the 'Spike' network.

By the way, the music on the CD is pretty good. My favorites are the older songs from his Orchestra career like 'Ghost Radio'and 'Sammy Davis City.' Another surprise is the Orchestra doing Queen's rockabilly-ish hit 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love.' Pretty cool.

The original

From what I've heard, Setzer has no creative control over this record since he is no longer on Interscope records. He has an album coming out later this year under the name "The Brian Setzer Trio". On a side note, I got to meet Lee Rocker (bassist for the Stray Cats) at the Long Beach Beachfest this weekend and watch the Blasters play too.

In an old Shag interview Shag mentioned that he had already done art for Brian Setzer. I guess Setzer's peolpe found it cheaper to use someone Shag-like than Shag himself.

I saw Lee Rocker at Beachfest and they were
awesome! Best band there in my opinon.

B
Boob posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2003 10:13 PM

I'm sure Seltzer has no problem geeting Shag(ged).

I've seen Lee Rocker so much lately. He's real good but never, in my opinion, gonna achieve the success that Setzer achieved. His stage show kinda bores me. The one time that I saw him and was super into it was when he played with Scotty Moore (Elvises Sun records guitarist)at the HOB in Anaheim. He's a hell of an upright bassist though.

I saw that ad for the Beach Fest and I couldn't go. I can't wait to see the Blasters again at the Hootenanny this year. How were they? What songs did they do?

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-06-10 02:47 ]

But using a SHAG image can't cost that much, this local Club have released an album using SHAG's art

http://www.ren-com.com/vegas/

I used to go see Lee Rocker at The Dixie Belle all the time, James Intveld too, Hot Rod Lincoln, lots of great RAB bands. I miss that place.

T

Hey Atomictonytiki! That's one cool cover to that CD. I just may have to pick one of those bad boys up. I collect CD art work by that artist. Thanks for sharing!

The Dixie Bell was great......It's been quite some time since I've been there 4 years or so? I know its closed now but when they first started to have rockabilly bands play it was awesome and then it ended up getting way too packed to enjoy.

There are posters for the album all over town and other "Vegas" poster with shags work on it, I had thought the vegas boy had just knicked the design but obviously they have some deal with him.

Pages: 1 10 replies