Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Remodel & Grand Reopening through Pictures

Pages: 1 15 replies

Aloha Friends,
As many of you are aware by now Tonga Hut proprietor Jeremy Fleener as teamed up with Amy Boylan to form a wonderful partnership/ownership together in the existing Tonga Hut. In tote remain Tonga Hut's phenomenal staff, as well as dedicated friends and family whom without any of this revival would be possible.

This Thread will take you through a Pictorial journey in time dating back to 1958 and will lead you on our journey to the present. We are reviving and face lifting the exterior and interior of the Tonga Hut and we will show you each step of the way the upgrades, additions, improvements and just good plain old fun we are having. Please be assured that the integrity of the Tonga Hut’s architecture will be in no way destroyed only enhanced.

It is of great importance to us that you are included in this build as you have all been so patient and supportive of us for many years, it is for you, and because of you that we still open our doors each and every day for 53 years. Our gracious and immediate thanks to, Kirby Fleming, Ernie Keen, Chase, John Corbid, Jim Bacchi, Tom & Sherri, Christine Reifer, Jake Geiger, Victor and Kelly from Mojave Oasis, Buzzy, Scott Mabbutt, Marty Lush, Sven, Murph, Eric October, Suzy Mosher, Kelly Reilly with MANY more thanks to come.

Tonga Hut will be Closed November 27th through December 2nd 2011 and reopen for the Grand Reopening and Tiki Wonderland Party Saturday Dec. 3rd at Noon. Have fun and enjoy the NEW Tonga Hut Adventure through Time. -Tonga Hut

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=41446

Saturday December 3rd, 2011 heralds the Grand Reopening of Tonga Hut, celebrating a new partnership of Tonga Hut owner Jeremy Fleener and Amy Boylan creator of Mojave Oasis. ‘Tiki Wonderland’ will further deck the occasion with Tiki inspired offerings from local craftsmen and artists.

Embracing the history of Tonga Hut established in 1958, enhancements speak to Mid Century design and rescued artifacts of great tiki palaces of yesteryear while maintaining Tonga Hut's unique character.

‘Tiki Wonderland’ opens to it’s fifth year created by Ernest “Grog” Keen and exhibits the unique and joyous designs of many of the So Cal's Tiki artisans. Tunes supplied by the Glasgow Tiki Shakers and libations crafted by Kelly "HipHiPaHulA" Reilly.

Please be patient more photos and comments to come.

First Owner Ed Libby, one of two brothers that built and owned the Tonga Hut

The mess that Jeremy Fleener had to clean up when he purchased the TH

MORE TO COME!

Tonga Hut Since 1958

L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Avail. for Special Events @ the Hut or Location

[ Edited by: tonga hut 2011-12-13 12:32 ]

JB

The first "regulars" mug in the cabinet.

JB

...just a little peak behind the curtain.

Really cool to see the old pictures of the Tonga Hut! Good luck with the re-grand opening!

On 2011-11-28 20:22, Joe Banks wrote:
...just a little peak behind the curtain.

I'm glad you guys used level, measuring tape and square to carve those Tiki book replicas. They came out great, almost like the originals!

Only the beverages look out of place for where we are- but then you don't wanna loose a finger or something. First the work, then the drink, right?

You guys are lucky that you are outside of the "Dead Zone", or it would have been hand tools by candle light only!:

The power outage at my house is approaching 24 hours, I had to evacuate to Burbank!

TT

Yikes!

holy smokes that's freaky.
no power outages here in OC
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

JB

I love seeing how it all came together. Thanks for posting these!

kevin

WOW! Looks like a real, TC family project. I wish I could have been there to help. Can't wait to see it in person.

TT

B

The place looks beautiful!

Wow! Great job everyone! We look forward to seeing
this and everyone at the New Years Eve party!

Best,

Jason

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2011-12-28 13:35 ]

We are both super critical of any and all "remodel" projects, so we have to make a comment here. Having seen the Tonga Hut in its various stages, we have to say that you guys not only did it right, but you did it right in a very major way! We loved the Tonga Hut before, but now it just feels like home ... great job!

And with Marie on board the Tonga Hut has to be among the top tiki destinations going ... we consider her one of the most important mixologists working today. One sip of a Passion Play should be enough to convert anybody!

Mai-tai (with Martinique rum), Pina Colada, Three Dots and a Dash, Passion Play

Pages: 1 15 replies