Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Shingle Siding Patterns

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

I did a search, and didn't see this topic. Forgive me, if I've missed it.

So, I did some shingle siding a little while back. But just putting up shingles didn't seem like it was enough.
In order to sufficiently over-complicate it (it's my thing, don't judge me) I decided that I should cut in a
picture. I found a silhouette of a shark and decided to make that a part of the shingle pattern.

Here's the pattern (just before I cut the tops of the last course of shingles off):

The basic technique is pretty easy. I made a 100% sized pattern out of paper. Then I made sure that it fit
into the space I had before I started the shingle work.

I then ran double-courses of shingles across the whole side where the image was going to be. As I went, I
cut the second (outermost) level of shingles to the pattern. In the areas where there was no part of the
pattern, I cut the shingle to be even with the course above it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd double course the whole area and then cut the pattern in (instead of doing it
as I went). But still, I think it turned out fairly well. I'm planning on using the same technique on my house
when I get my theoretical home tiki bar made. I'm thinking Moai silhouettes would work well.

It's no Bamboo Ben, but we all have to start somewhere.

That's pretty cool Tai-Pan. I think Moai outlines would look good too - simple design and easily recognizable

I've never seen this done before. That's just terrific, Wendy

Ya man,
That's real slick.
That could be used in a few different apps.
I like the way you over think stuff.
You try carving ?

I do see your lamp candle carve.
Exacto small is good.
Hope to see more.

[ Edited by: Will carve 2011-11-22 03:58 ]

Way cool . . .

That is so uniquely awesome! I have never seen anything like that before. Wonder how many people will notice walking/driving by? You can line the outline with Christmas lights for the holidays...Merry Sharkmas! :lol:

T

I never thought about lighting the shark, but I might do that this year.

We have played with the idea of staining everything but the shark. Then the shark would turn silver gray while everything else would keep the color of the stain.

But I sort of like that it's a little subtle.

U

Tai Pan the Shark is wonderfully creative! :) Love it! Merry Sharkmas! :lol:

Good call, I think you lose the effect if you stain it differently - it would just look like the shark was painted on instead of "engraved"

Pages: 1 8 replies