Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which tiki artist would you like to see a documentary of

Pages: 1 21 replies

Hi TC,

If you could watch a 30 min documentary about an tiki artist --living or dead, who would it be?

BB

I'd start with some classics Leeteg, Tyree, Tretchikoff, August Holland and Sascha Brastoff.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2011 6:16 AM

The best one out there currently is Bosko's

So I would want to see Gecko

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2011 6:20 AM

Extra Note

Its too easy to make a video these days and put it on Youtube

So why don't we have a lot more videos?

Currently I have been interested in bodybuilding and there are
a couple videos from every source big or small, everyday.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2011-12-08 06:21 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2011 8:30 AM

I agree with Teakey, there should be way more videos, documenting our tiki world , specially events,and artists.. there is no easier time than now. I think Crazy Al is the most interesting tiki personality/performer/artist I would love to see doc on him, hopefully they will get some footage of some of his carving secrets in there..
others would include:
Tiki Tony,Benzart,notch.diablo

and Not to toot my own horn gut a doc on the going on 3 year weekly gathering at the Rumpus Room would be cool too.. because we have had many Tiki enthusiast and artists from all around the world show up to my house on any givin week and that would have been cool to document on video..

JB

On 2011-12-08 08:30, kirby wrote:

and Not to toot my own horn gut a doc on the going on 3 year weekly gathering at the Rumpus Room would be cool too.. because we have had many Tiki enthusiast and artists from all around the world show up to my house on any givin week and that would have been cool to document on video..

It's on the agenda....

On 2011-12-08 08:30, kirby wrote:

Sounds to me like you need to set up a webcam above the bar or something, so the rest of the Tiki enthusiasts can participate from afar. We're talking about doing that with our annual neighborhood luau...which can get sketchy since the bar is within steps of the pool. I don't think you'll need to imagine too much what happens when you get drunk people letting loose after the kids go to bed. Let's just say the morning after found people wandering around the area looking for articles of clothing.

LT

Living...
Bosko, Gecko and Danny G. all have substantive portfolios covering multiple mediums.

Dead or presumed so...
Barney West, Milan Guanko, Eli Hedley, Gabe Florian, whomever designed the mugs for OMC.

Outside of TC and OM there seems to be little information available regarding these artists and their work.

T

arthur lyman
martin denny
gene rains
don ho

Well stop talking about it & do it.
Get Her DUN! :D

Jim Flora is the beginning of

Shag.Derek*,Miles Thompson and many others.

Jim was not Very Tiki but the people that are in the Tiki Seen today all owe a bit to this Master of the Bend.

W

Leroy Schmaltz. And Bob van Oosting. Can't have one without the other. And can't Sven or somebody sit these guys down in front of a camera and just let them talk and tell stories for a few hours?
Zach

JB

On 2011-12-08 22:34, Tiki Mantis wrote:
Leroy Schmaltz. And Bob van Oosting. Can't have one without the other. And can't Sven or somebody sit these guys down in front of a camera and just let them talk and tell stories for a few hours?
Zach

I have been interviewing both of them over the last few months for my "doc of tiki".

Squid.......WooHooo! :)

Aloha,

I would enjoy watching a film about Edward M. Brownlee.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Dec 9, 2011 9:43 AM

I'd like to see more on Pete Wimberly and DtB. All the replies so far are using a very narrow definition of artist. Imagine the architect and those who put together the interiors of these places. Don Beach was the designer of his places.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 9, 2011 9:46 AM

Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt (Donn Beach)
Victor Jules Bergeron, Jr (Trader Vic)
Ray Buhen

P

Coombs.

Bob and LeRoy at Oceanic Arts for sure!!!

The stories they tell me when I see them

are never ending. Good stuff!

Z

I think that every tiki artist on TC should try and cobble together a few minutes of stuff and upload it to the 'Tube... YouTube should be clogged with tiki goodness! Those who enjoy a paricular artist - why not do some research and post up an homage to your ohana idols?

~Zero
P.S. I'm not saying I should do any of these things...

T

On 2011-12-14 13:00, ZeroTiki wrote:
I think that every tiki artist on TC should try and cobble together a few minutes of stuff and upload it to the 'Tube... YouTube should be clogged with tiki goodness!

This is true and Steve Foote put up something nice just 8 minutes ago. Yeah Steve Foote

T

Yeah, I'd like to see a good interview with Bob and Leroy with animated old photos like they did in Riding Giants. I've only been to Oceanic Arts a handful of times but I always get great stories about the old days.

But it would be cool to have 5 minutes of all the artists, musicians, performers, attendees, collectors, boozers and organizers.. Oh yeah, the Tiki DVD from Germany! Where is it!? :) Also, Monkeyman started one too!

I just made a tiki carving video, but no interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGgdfqfSQ2g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pages: 1 21 replies