Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

DA SHOW, where and when?

Pages: 1 21 replies

when, what time and how to get there from the 405?

Check out this link.

http://www.alohacruz.com/dashowpage.htm

I will see you and all my TC brethren there.

I think lots of the local Tcers will be there. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Are all of you TC folk going to Da Show going to spend all day there or is anyone up for some sideshow activities? I am driving up from San Diego and am not real familiar with anything else in that area? Maybe we could hang for lunch somewhere or hit any interesting tiki spots of interest nearby.

Does anybody from San Diego want to carpool? I plan on going to Laneys after Da Show for a few hours.

Anyone, Anyone.....Bueller, Bueller?

Monkeyman

Monkeyman, I will be going to Da Show in the morning and heading off to my nephew's birthday party in the afternoon. You (and your family if you bring them) are welcome to come along with us (its a kids party). I too, will be going to Laney's in the evening - probably sometime after 6pm.

I know, its a boring alternative but hey, there'll be a pinata...

I will keep that in mind. I decided to leave my kids at home this time and my wife is going to stay home with them. This time I will be running solo. Free as the wind. I thought that since I was going for some suckemup at Laneys, it wouldn't be cool to drag my kids there. What is the modus operandus for TC gatherings and kids? They are 2.5 and 4.5 yrs old.

Monkeyman

Now that's it! The perfect thing for socal tiki/mex. A tiki Pinata? A Fred! Patent pending!

DAMN YOU, you beat me to the patent.

As an old graff artist I always take note of graphitti art when I'm driving around. Lately I've been spotting a graphitti artists that has been painting little moais along the 405 as well as putting up giant stickers with images on them that always have that same moai somewhere on the side. Anyone caught this? I which I had thought of it. He's just going around putting moais everywhere.

B
Boob posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2003 10:23 PM

Hey SS and CT,
You think Chaka (was that his tag? sp?) is into tiki now???? Maybe he's the Moai Man!!??

DZ

Which brings us back to the original question: what time are folks going? DA SHOW goes 6:00am - 5:00pm; I'm heading down there 'bout 11:30. Anybody want to stop by my place for a cocktail ahead of time ('Mai Tai's for breakfast?' Why the hell not?), drop me a line (I'm 'bout 10 -15 min. from Da Show). Since I really don't plan on buying anything, I'd like to go when my TC peeps are there, so we can shop and socialize en masse...

Doctor Z,

I would join you if you are interested in serving up after lunch? I will be floating around. I plan on arriving at Da Show at 9:00 am.

All the birds sing words and the flowers croon, in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. (Disneyland)

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-06-10 22:51 ]

I expect to be there sometime between 9-10am. You can call my cel at XXXXX to find me.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-12-10 17:58 ]

Me and my wahini will be waiting in line at 5:50 am! Hey, there might be something there I need you know!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2003 6:16 PM

see ya guys in a coupla days at da show. I'm mainland bound in bout 24 hours.

aloha

What is the parking like down there at Da Show? If we get there mid-afternoon, are we going to be out of luck?

The parking lot is huge there. Should not be a problem.

ITs always a good show - I should be there in the early morning. I will have the Hinano hat on

DZ

Well it looks like most folks are going at totally different times, so I'm gonna nix my 'Mai Tai Breakfast' offer and do my usual garage sale-ing with Sabu in the morning. Of course, I'd like to have people over between Da Show and Laney's, but that's just overkill now isn't it? Besides, I think the "Point Break" ('The Surfin' Tiki Bar - Since 1947') has finally opened, and I thought I'd give it a visit.

Look for us in the early afternoon - we'll be the two guys wearing aloha shirts...

Just got back - The show is great, although I liked the location last year. Seemed more intimate. This felt too open, maybe its a phobia. Seemed like a lot less vendors as well.

Scored some nice shirts, was disapointed on the lack of vendors, no music and same ole stuff. Need some new blood or?... Guy there selling surf stuff that should have been in a museum, Duke Invational trophies! I will probably pass next year...

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed in the small amount of dealers as well as the high prices. But we did get to spend about a good 20-30 minutes talking with Alfred Shaheen. Got to pick his brain about clothing and stuff. His daughter, Camille, was really nice too. She gave us a 5x7 photo of her dad in the 50s with his three top guys. They were all wearing Shaheen shirts except for Shaheen himself. Alfred also signed it for us. So that was definitely worth the drive in traffic down there.

alfredshaheen.com

We also got to try a Hawaiian restaurant with Al & Shelly near there that Sabu and Dr. Z recommended. It was really good and they gave you tons of food. I was happy with a sake martini and Atomic was especially joyful that they had Spam wasubi.

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2003-06-16 00:25 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies