Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mai-Kai History Presentation at the Mai-Kai! with vintage movie debut!

Pages: 1 31 replies

S

As part of Hukilau 2012, I will be giving an updated version of my Mai-Kai history on the stage at the Mai-Kai itself! This will be a very special event, unlike perhaps any you have seen before. Tiki nerds, prick up your ears!

Besides a great deal of detailed info about the Mai-Kai's history and the people behind it, I will have lots of great never before seen images. Besides the great images, I will have never before seen moving images! Besides new video, I will have many of the very people whose stories I tell, on hand for you to meet and talk to! 55 years of Mai-Kai living history!

We all love the Mai-Kai. We all revel in the drinks and environs of this most incredible of all Tiki establishments. But, you probably have only scratched the surface of your understanding of why the Mai-Kai is so damned great! If I myself have been totally blown away by my research, I feel sure that you all will be greatly engrossed as well. You will look at the Mai-Kai in a way you have not thought. This place you adore will become even more dear. Yes, that IS possible!

If the Mai-Kai isn't #1 on your bucket list, it should be. If you are traveling across the country or even the world to be at Hukilau and this special place, you owe it to yourself to get the grand tour. The back story. The experience you will never forget. Those in that room with me on April 20th will recall that time with fondness for years to come...

More details to come of course.

I have urged the Mai-Kai to add one or more flights to the drink menu for Hukilau. A way for you to try 3 drinks for the price of one, and really sample their full menu without breaking the bank or getting way too lit. The Mai-Kai is the last place on the planet still serving Don the Beachcomber's recipes, much as they were served 60 years ago.

I hope you will join me there and make more great memories of that most fantastic place!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2012-01-05 09:39 ]

Swanky, we're looking forward to this even more than Beachbum Berry's Zombie symposium. Well ... maybe it's a tie.

We encourage folks to reserve their seats at these great Mai-Kai events by ordering tickets now:
http://www.thehukilau.com/2012/tickets/

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2012 9:38 AM

Thanks to Martin Cate, at Hukilau I will debut this lost classic of Tiki, the Sarong Clad Mystery Girl movie! Plue more! This is a longer promo movie done for the Mai-Kai by Jaf Fletcher, which includes the Mystery Girl section. It features Ann Campbell, so it was done between 1963 and 1966. The Lincoln in the image below might help, but probably not. I think the car was pretty unchanged for a few years.

Ooo, Molokai serving girl...

Entrance with Tiki...

Ann Campbell...

Mai-Kai!

I had the footage professionally digitized and the difference is amazing!

I sure wish I can be there this year. Not being able to attend last year already killed me, I will double-die if this year I am called overseas.

Q

Your presentation looks incredible! Good idea to have the old film digitized.

I am hoping to attend my first tiki event this year and what better event than the Hukilau!! I hope to see you there.

Cheers!

J

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait...

Not sure if we can make it this year. I do like the idea of drink flights. I know several restaurants that do flights of tequila. Flights of Rum? Should be a great presentation Swanky.

Flights not fights!

S

I have recently found connections through the Mai-Kai with Charles Mauu and Kui Lee. It never ceases to amaze me at the people who are connected to this place!

J

Cocktail flights would be EPIC.

Swanky,

You had me at "Mai Kai History"!

The show is going to be awesome. Unfortunately, I won't be there (Mojave Oasis instead). How about a producing a video of the presentation?? I'd buy one.

Good luck, it is sure to be smashing.

DC

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Feb 1, 2012 7:04 AM

On 2012-01-31 20:00, Dustycajun wrote:
Swanky,

You had me at "Mai Kai History"!

The show is going to be awesome. Unfortunately, I won't be there (Mojave Oasis instead). How about a producing a video of the presentation?? I'd buy one.

Good luck, it is sure to be smashing.

DC

DC,

I'd love to do a video, but I am told you can't shoot a screen like that. However, if someone out there wants to work on that, I'm all for combining the presentation graphics with the live presentation and some Mai-Kai footage into a video...

BTW, that billborad was by David Stevens, who went on to do some very awesome billboards around the country. I would not be surprised if he wasn't behind the Kahiki winking billboard as well.

He did various projects at the Mai-Kai of the "set design" type. He was tasked with making fake rocks that hid the lights used in the gardens and waterfalls. He made copies of the massive turtle shells on the walls that were so perfect, the Thornton brothers could not tell the real one from his fakes.

S

From April 10th, 1964, the paper reports on traffic snarled due to the Barney West carved Tikis being placed at the Mai-Kai. 11 pieces from 1 to 6 tons came by freight car.

16 foot, 3 1/2 ton "Barney gets put in place

23 foot, 6 ton Moai

"...constitute the largest carved South Seas statuary in the United States, and their addition to the restaurant's lavish tropical gardens make up what is believed to be the largest and most complete collection of artifacts in this country."

Back then, they were both placed at the south end of the property, out front.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2012-02-22 15:49 ]

Q

Thanks for adding these Swanky! That is very cool. Are they both still on the property?

Alas, I've never been to the Mai-Kai... but I'm hoping to pop my tiki cherry and make it for this year's Hukilau!! Still working on that.

Cheers!

S

On 2012-02-23 15:13, Q-tiki wrote:
Thanks for adding these Swanky! That is very cool. Are they both still on the property?

Alas, I've never been to the Mai-Kai... but I'm hoping to pop my tiki cherry and make it for this year's Hukilau!! Still working on that.

Cheers!

The 23 foot Moai still stands at the south corner of the property. The other piece was in the gardens until a couple of years ago when decades of decay sent it toppling over and broken to pieces. Its place has now been filled by th elarge carving that used to be at the end of the Surfboard bar and in the main dinning room in older pictures.

This one from that time is still there in the same spot too:

The piece in the left of this card is now in the gardens where the large Barney West used to be:

Heeeeeeere's the rich history and long-lost stories of The Mai-Kai ...

When The Mai-Kai opened in late 1956, at a cost of a million dollars, it was the most perfect copy of Donn Beach's grand vision imaginable, but taken to new heights. The Mai-Kai quickly out-shined its competition, earning the raves of critics and its loyal clientele alike.

Check out our preview of Swanky's seminar on The Atomic Grog:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/27/heeeeeeeres-the-rich-history-and-long-lost-stories-of-the-mai-kai/

You might recognize this guy:

Heyo!

S

We are down to the wire now! Did the preview in the Hideaway for my presentation and even those who saw it before in the Tiki Oasis version were impressed with the new one. A lot more info and story.

At this point I have about 13 former Mai-Kai staff ranging from Mystery Girls of the 1950s and 60s to a manager from 1957 to of course performers and Maitre d'. You can meet the people whose stories I am telling and maybe hear stories from their mouth's I can't tell. Johnny and Ed's good friend who brought the Mystery Girl to the Tonight Show, and was shipwrecked on a deserted island with Jayne Mansfield!

Come on out and revel in the greatest Tiki bar on earth and here the great stories that will make you appreciate more than you can imagine!

A

On 2012-01-05 09:38, Swanky wrote:

Ann Campbell...

Is that her hand wrapped around that drink? Sorry for asking, but I can't figure out what I'm seeing - those look like the world's longest fingers.

In any case, this sounds great, wish we were there for it.

-Randy

We're really looking forward to this!

And we're also happy to be sharing our research at the symposium on which 30 cocktails on The Mai-Kai menu are descendants of Don the Beachcomber drinks.

So you can plan your imbibing accordingly.

Mahalo!

Mahalo Swanky, the presentation was fantastic!

Q

Sounds like it was a hit! Nice job Swanky.

S

Many people told me brought them to tears, which I took as a good sign!

I have been asked to do it again in other venues, as part of various historical presentations. Will let you know when and where you will have the chance to see it again.

J

On 2012-04-23 07:53, Swanky wrote:

I have been asked to do it again in other venues, as part of various historical presentations. Will let you know when and where you will have the chance to see it again.

The Mai-Kai should sell Swanky's talk as a DVD!

That's what I was thinking - a DVD! So when is the show coming to the West Coast?

DC

On 2012-04-23 17:33, Dustycajun wrote:
That's what I was thinking - a DVD! So when is the show coming to the West Coast?

DC

!!!

S

The presentation has changed so much since Oasis, that is does not compare. And it will continue to evolve.

I did Oasis as part of a vacation really and probably will not be back. I don't have the time and money for the trip.

There are possibilities for more Lauderdale showings and maybe NY, Hawaii or Columbus in the future. We'll see. Find me a sponsor and I'm there.

In the meantime, I must get the book going and get it published. Pablus and I discussed a documentary, but I really don't have the time for that right now either. I do want to get some interviews in the can while those folks are with us...

bOOk!!!

More pix please!

J

On 2012-04-24 16:17, RevBambooBen wrote:
bOOk!!!

Book is good too. Book & DVD (or...oooooh...Blu-Ray) would be even better.

T

On 2012-04-24 17:30, Chip and Andy wrote:
More pix please!

Yeah what he said!!
Swanky I wish we could have been there.
Your presentation sounds like it was great!
On the Mai Kai you and Tiki Killki are the go to people.
Both of you are the keepers of all things Mai Kai.
If you make it to Columbus we will be there for sure.
Great job.

loved the preview!

T

On 2012-04-23 07:53, Swanky wrote:

Tim your um.. drunk short version of this after many drinks in the office was awesome!
Wish you would do this again where we could see the full scale show.
I can think of no one who would know more about the Mai Kai, even Kern said
you knew more than anybody.
Great time at Hukilau!
Thanks.

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

Shame we missed your mini tour after the dinner show, And your knowledge needs to be put a book so all could see it!

Pages: 1 31 replies